Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new columbian tegu: help

Default new columbian tegu: help

i just got my columbian tegu last thursday and seems pretty calm while i handled him at the pet shop...he started being very jumpy and skiddish when i got him home.he also hides alot and i never see him unless i take him out from burrowing/his hide.and he has not eaten ever since i got him.im kinda worried.someone help me out...sorry if this post is too long.
    Last edited by amir2811; 10-18-2010 at 08:37 AM.

well for starters, sounds like a nice li'l guy.

but most pet shops keep reptiles on the cool side, so the animal will be more docile & more easily handled.
    he's hiding/jumpy/skittish because he's warm & in a new home.
    And with the eating some times it can take a week or 2 before they start eating, just make sure you offer food every day, & make sure he doesn't start loosing weight fast.
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

hey man thanks for the reply.i;ve been waiting all day for someone to reply lol...umm...the pet shop actually kept the hide between the cool side and the warm side(and i forgot to tell you that they keep all thier tegus in one big cage with one big hide).how should i offer him food? should i put his food in a dish and leave it in his enclosure or should i take him out and feed him in a bin?
    not so sure about him losing weight.i'll post some pics of him

does he look like he's losing weight?

He does look a little thin to me but he is also under alot of stress right now. I would stop disturbing him while he is in his hide at all, he needs to feel like he has a safe zone in his enclosure. As for feedings, I tried taking mine out of the enclosure and using a bin but I found for the first few weeks he was way too stressed and wouldn't eat like that at all so I offered him his food in the enclosure while he was in his hide so he would think the food just magically appeared rather then associating you to the food. I have an Argentine and not a Columbian so there may be some things that won't be the case with the Columbian but I think the above should be just fine to follow.
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada
    1.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dezie)
    0.1.0 Argenitne Red Tegu (rehome)
    1.0.1 Fat-Tailed Gecko (Holly and Chugington)
    1.0.0 Brittish Bulldog (Bently)
    1.0.0 Cockerpug (Ryder) Perfect name as he "rides" everything!
    0.2.0 Children (Cadence 5, Jordan 2)
    Large Saltwater tank that contains Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Foxface, 4 Gobeys, firefish, a couple shrimps, and a grumpy Brittle Star that eats fish while they sleep!

well and congts to your new guy!For the first couple wks your new little guy will be alittle shy and skiddish adjusting to his new home.. during that time i would not handle him enless you are taking him from the feeding bin to his tank and that should be it for now.. make sure you offfer him a varity of food and a good diet. offer him food everyday. make sure that his basking area is good and all temp are proper also and in no time he will be a great little guy for ya
    http://www.facebook.com/tegugurl
    http://http://tegusfromaroundtheworld.weebly.com/
    0.1.0 Red Tegu "Freyja"
    0.1.0 Argentine Black Nose Tegu "Mylnor"
    2.0.0 Chacoan Giant Tegu "Midgard & Murphy
    1.0.0 Chihuahua "Odie"

Colombians can be shy and take some time to tame. It is common for them to hide a lot when coming to a new environment. Give him a few days, then start the taming process. Leave a shirt that smells like you in his hide. If you have a glass enclosure, you can block off three sides with paper or something so he feels more secure. I know this isn't always recommended, but you may need to feed in the enclosure. I only say this because this little guy looks thin and/or dehydrated. You can clear an area of any substrate or lay down newspaper and then place his feeding bowl on top. As he begins to eat pretty regularly, you can move him to a solid enclosure for feeding. Alternately, you can put him in a solid, covered enclosure from the beginning to start that habit. Make sure his humidity is high, too. Put you hand in the cage a couple times daily without touching him so he sees that hands are not always coming to get him.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

thnks a bunch guys!! i've actually asked one guy,he's a tegu breeder and he says that my tegu is trying to hibernate..? since i live in malaysia which is tropical country i dont think he needs to hibernate.but there might a possibility for him to hibernate...cause i turn on the ac at night...

Your tegu guy be mixed up between the Argentines. Columbians don't hibernate.
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada
    1.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dezie)
    0.1.0 Argenitne Red Tegu (rehome)
    1.0.1 Fat-Tailed Gecko (Holly and Chugington)
    1.0.0 Brittish Bulldog (Bently)
    1.0.0 Cockerpug (Ryder) Perfect name as he "rides" everything!
    0.2.0 Children (Cadence 5, Jordan 2)
    Large Saltwater tank that contains Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Foxface, 4 Gobeys, firefish, a couple shrimps, and a grumpy Brittle Star that eats fish while they sleep!

so its just him trying to settle in then...