Thread: lowering the temps?

Default lowering the temps?

hey guys,is there any way i can bring down the temps.cause my room is like 90F which really hot and so is the cool side of my columbian tegus tank.the temps for the cool end should be around 80F and does this make him not wanna eat? btw i just got him so myb he's just getting used to things.But is there really any way to bring down the temps?

thnks a ton guys,
    1.0.0 colubian black and whte tegu(rex)

1.0.0 normal ball python(kilele)

0.0.1 tangerine bearded dragon(druffix)

0.0.1 albino pacman frog(jubba)

0.1.0 domestic house cat(sheeba)

Well, the first thing I'd suggest is turning on your air conditioner. If you don't have one though, I've heard of people taking a plastic water bottle, filling it up most of the way with water, freezing it, wrapping a towel around it, then placing the whole thing in your tegu's enclosure on the cool side. If he gets over-heated then he can choose to lay next to the frozen bottle (which is why you need to keep a towel wrapped around it, so he doesn't actually lay against the ice directly). You'd obviously need to refreeze it every night, or keep a few frozen ones on-hand.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

You can try placing him in a different area of your house, increasing the ventilation of the enclosure (glass tanks hold in heat), and try the cool water bottle idea. Being too hot could cause him to go off appetite, but he may also be settling in.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I'm no expert, but I think the frozen block might be overkill. You want to keep the cool end at least in the high 70's. If he goes to sleep by that iceberg and then at night the cage temps drop, he'll be kept too cold, I would think.

Is your room hot because you have a screen top on the terrarium and the lizard lights are heating up your room? I can relate to that. The only real answer is to get a better type of enclosure where the heat can be contained and controlled by the size and type of light. I'm telling you this in my 90 degree, 75% humidity home office.

yeah,ever since i got the tegu i notice that my room is hotter plus my rooms is exectly where the sun rises.so around 8-9 am its freaking hot.i may put it downstairs or outside my room.Problem is i hve 3 siblings who are noisy 24/7.I would get myself a custom built cage but not till we move cause i've got no space plus cages or anything in malaysia are very expensive.I got my 20gal tank where i house my tegu in cause it was the biggest cage they sold and i cost me 400+ Im not trying too look for any excuses or anything but it'll be awhile till I get another cage.But i'll definately try the ice block method and see how it goes.Umm...thanks anyways and it would be great if there're any more ideas.
    1.0.0 colubian black and whte tegu(rex)

1.0.0 normal ball python(kilele)

0.0.1 tangerine bearded dragon(druffix)

0.0.1 albino pacman frog(jubba)

0.1.0 domestic house cat(sheeba)

Yeah the person I had read from who used the small frozen water bottle idea had placed it in the enclosure first thing in the morning, and by the afternoon, the ice had all melted and it was simply a bottle filled with cool water at that point.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

Lower wattage light bulbs in the enclosure,thats the best way to control temps, higher or lower watt bulbs.& also more ventlation on the cool side
    • 0.1 Extrem Giant tegu
    • 0.1 Blue tegu
    • 1.0 Red tegu
    • 1.0 Blue spot Timor monitor
    • 1.1 Corn snakes
    • 0.0.1 Red foot tortoise
    • 1 Unhappy wife

A 20 gallon tank will only do ya for a few months because your tegu will outgrow it. I would recommend that you build your own cage if you can't find a larger one that is affordable. if you can get plywood, 2x4's and glass that is all you will need. There are lots of great examples of how to do this on this forum. you better start building it now because your little tegu will be 3 feet in no time at all if it is being well fed. Depending on your climate you may want to consider building an out door enclosure to house your tegu when it is warm enough.
    All American Tegu- Annabelle
    South African leopard tortoise- Lucy
    Gopher Snake- ochoco
    Corn Snake- rio
    Mali Uromastyx- apollo and Darwin
    Beautiful Wife- Sarah
    Lots of tropical fish
    Black standard schnauzer- Zeus
    Red wigglers