Thread: Break on through, to the other side!

Default Break on through, to the other side!

So, try as Desmond might, he scratches at the glass of his enclosure everyday, telling me he wants out. He gets let out for a few hours, then goes back into the light - but once he is warmed up, he is scratching at the glass again. He doesn't get out, though.

Today was different.
    He started scratching at the glass as I did homework, and he popped a singular and large piece of glass out of his door and continued to exit his tank.

Has that ever happened to anyone???
    We luckily saved his old plexiglass pieces, and that will have to do until we get money for a new piece of glass...

How big is he?
    Hernando is very strong and persistent, but he has never done that!

desmond is over 40" long (he was 40" early last month when i measured last), and reaaaaaally big around the middle. he's widen out now.
    he is VERY persistent, he luckily didn't hurt himself after he did it.
    i'm just worried about getting another piece, and him just doing it again lol! we can't really get thicker glass without putting in new glass tracks... =/

Wow. I'm so glad to hear that he didn't get hurt. I don't want to be rude but are you sure it is plexi glass and not regular glass ? Plexi glass should break like that. Yes, this happens to our Tegus, too. Our Leonidas got some bad nose rub before. He broke a screen top before and got out. When we got home we found him behind the refridgerator lol. You might want to get a thicker plexi glass.

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgir...58/JV_Kvqt4Drg
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

if you put glass back in i'd say, get some "contact paper" it's a clear plastic sheet (like a big sticker) put a sheet on each side of the glass. That way if he glass brakes the contact paper will hold the glass together.

P.S. The blue bus is calling us
    Last edited by Pikey; 11-06-2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: the doors, they made me
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

I wonder how many people will get that reference, Pikey...
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

Default Tempered glass

I got tempered glass for my tegu cage. 1/8th inch tempered glass is stronger and cheaper than 1/4 inch normal glass but it can't be cut once it is tempered. Just go to a local glass shop with the EXACT measurements of the glass you need and they will order it in for you. They can do any size to the 1/32 of an inch. I was surprised how affordable it was. $50 for two pieces ~2.5' X 3'
    All American Tegu- Annabelle
    South African leopard tortoise- Lucy
    Gopher Snake- ochoco
    Corn Snake- rio
    Mali Uromastyx- apollo and Darwin
    Beautiful Wife- Sarah
    Lots of tropical fish
    Black standard schnauzer- Zeus
    Red wigglers

yeah but tempered glass has the problem with exploding randomly when the right pressure in the right place and shatter. but ur right tempered glass is stronger but i would use it for anything where it can be hit on an almost daily basis...

Toughened glass must be cut to size or pressed to shape before toughening and cannot be re-worked once toughened. Polishing the edges or drilling holes in the glass is carried out before the toughening process starts. Because of the balanced stresses in the glass, damage to the glass will eventually result in the glass shattering into thumbnail-sized pieces. The glass is most susceptible to breakage due to damage to the edge of the glass where the tensile stress is the greatest, but shattering can also occur in the event of a hard impact in the middle of the glass pane or if the impact is concentrated (for example, striking the glass with a point). Using toughened glass can pose a security risk in some situations because of the tendency of the glass to shatter completely upon hard impact rather than leaving shards in the window frame.....

How Tempered Glass Shatters
    During the tempering process, the inner layers of a pane of glass become compressed at a higher rate than the outer layers. This process is repeated several times to create a complex web of stress lines that is invisible to the naked eye.

When something causes tempered glass to shatter, it shatters along all of these stress lines. The glass breaks into many small bits that are rounded or cuboid in shape, often with relatively smooth edges. The bits are often about the size of the eraser on a pencil. In cases of auto accidents where tempered glass windows shatter and the shards spray across an occupant's body, the bits typically cause only superficial injuries, if any.

Because the network of stress lines covers the entire pane of each piece of tempered glass, it will all shatter at once when it fails. Ordinary glass, on the other hand, may break in one area while remaining intact elsewhere.
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

it is indeed real glass, i purchased from lowes. its rather thin, but it has held up for the last 2 months. i don't know where else to go for cheap glass other than hardware stores, any suggestions?

Wow, r u sure it's a Tegu and not 'Hulk'? :lol:

Amazing!
    ❤<3❤<3❤<3❤<3❤<3

1.1.0 Ball Pythons (Sauron & Sibelle)
    1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Neiko)
    0.1.0 Toy Rat Terrier (Daisy Marie)
    1.0.0 Red Nose Pit Bull mix (Choco)
    1.0.0 Bestest, most happiest fiance in the whole wide world! (Freddy) /!\CRITICALLY ENDANGERED SPECIE/!\ :lol: :oops:

*Pictures in my profile's album! Minus my fiance's picture, lol! xD*