Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighting ?

Default Lighting ?

So im finalizing the setup for my new little guy comin in tomorrow (hopefully >.>) and I wanted to make sure my lighting is upto par.
    First off the enclosure is a glass 80gal 48l/12w/18h mesh top with about 3-4 inches of substrate with a log ontop for the basking area for a total of probably 8 inches from the bottom. Right now I've got a zilla slimlight desert 50uvb flourecent and a daylight uva halogen which I think is 75w but not sure since im posting from work (oops)

So basically im wondering if this is enough/too much for him or the enclosure size, if these are decent lights. If need be I can return them and just pick up a mercury vapor bulb tonight.

Thanks for the help in advance, ill post up a new member thread after work tonight. I've been mainly creepig around but its been enough to see there are alot of really helpful people!

Well, the general opinion is that Zilla lights pretty much suck. Most people here use ZooMed lights (whether it's a MVB, or a tube florescent with a separate basking light). What are the temps in your tank?

Oh, and welcome!!
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

I don have it completely set up, just got home from work so im gunna bring everything into the house from the garage and see, I may just go return the stuff and grab a mvb

Welcome to the site! I would go with Zoo-Med when you can. Any questions just ask! I use a 150watt zoomed powersun and a 150watt zoomed repti halogen...I think thats what its called
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

First I would like to congrat you on your new Tegu. I'm happy to hear that you like our forum. It's nice to have you as a part of our family. Please keep us posted.

This is the lighting I have been using for years now. I'm very happy with the brand and never had any problems with them. I like them because it's all in one ( basking, UVA and UVB ). Since the Tegus bask for the most part when they are up they get more of the UVA/UVB this way.

http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/En...D=2&SearchID=3
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Thanks for the recommendation txrep, ill be returning my zilla lamps and buying a zoo-med mvb tonight omw home from work. I've heard they recommend a ceramic socket, but is it really needed?
    1.0.0 B&W Tegu Steven
    1.0.0 Ball Python Monty
    0.1.0 Standard Schnauzer Kasha

When they suggest ceramic socket, use ceramic. MVB bulbs get pretty hot and since they are on all day, it makes for a lot of heat. Also, they are operating in a humid environment. This means that the light fixtures age and corrode much faster than an aluminium or plastic backed fixture. Whatever they make the cheaper ones out of. The price difference isn't that much for the ceramic kind. We've replaced about 6 non-ceramics and maybe 1 ceramic over about 4 years in our various collection of fixtures. Also, be sure you get a fixture rated to operate with 160W if you get that PowerSun. I suggest one rated for 300W. The right fixture will not simply live longer, it will protect against short circuits, smoking wires, and very real fire hazard. Another suggestion, get a deep hood to reduce the possibility of spraying a drop of water on your expensive and toxic bulb.

Ceramic socket it is! And thank you for the full break down on the reasoning, its actually very helpful
    1.0.0 B&W Tegu Steven
    1.0.0 Ball Python Monty
    0.1.0 Standard Schnauzer Kasha

You're welcome! Enjoy your new tegu.

Plus the MVB will shut off when it gets too hot, so you can also shorten the life span of the bulb if it is going on and off.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets