Thread: Hello all, new here with a brand new tegu

Default Hello all, new here with a brand new tegu

End Laura ....
    Last edited by Jungledoc; 03-20-2011 at 06:39 PM.

welcome to the forum and congts on ur tegu! It is kinda hard to tell and age it maight help if you post a pic for us to see!
    http://www.facebook.com/tegugurl
    http://http://tegusfromaroundtheworld.weebly.com/
    0.1.0 Red Tegu "Freyja"
    0.1.0 Argentine Black Nose Tegu "Mylnor"
    2.0.0 Chacoan Giant Tegu "Midgard & Murphy
    1.0.0 Chihuahua "Odie"

Tegus grow at different rates according to the husbandry they are under. Welcome to the forum!
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

Welcome to the forum. I agree with the other guys, it can be very hard to tell age when they are about that size. Most likely it is in the 3- to 9-month range, which is a big range. It sounds quite tame, which is why I didn't think it was younger. With manners like that, he must have received some kind attention. A picture would help.

Sorry for suggesting this without you asking for the advice, but I think your tegu has already outgrown his Sterlite. I'm really concerned for you, too, because with the kind of lights you need to keep the tegu at a healthy temperature, a 7" tall plastic container can be a real fire hazard. I understand you already plan to upsize, but I would strongly suggest you try to do it, like, this weekend. You might have to settle for a 60 gallon from craigslist (in our area, you can get those used pretty cheap) which you'd need to replace within a few months, but it would be safer and your tegu would be happier in the meantime.

Default new tegu

thanks for the advice, but the tegu really seems "little" in the current set up (which is almost 4ft x 2 ft). Having said that I do have a 75gal glass tank I can transfer him out to now.
    Here are two pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to the forum and on the new Tegu! Unfortunately it can be so hard to tell age of a Tegu. I have a black and white who I bought as a hatchling in July, he is 6 months now and 30". I have a Red Tegu that I got off of the classified, she was a tiny bit smaller then my black and white so I assumed she was a 2010 hatchling just like my male but turns out she hibernated all summer and is now out and about so she literally only grew 1" this entire time I have had her so she is ( 90% sure) from the Southern Hemisphere and is actually 4-6 months older they my male. Never would have thought since he is 32" and she is only 12".
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada
    1.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dezie)
    0.1.0 Argenitne Red Tegu (rehome)
    1.0.1 Fat-Tailed Gecko (Holly and Chugington)
    1.0.0 Brittish Bulldog (Bently)
    1.0.0 Cockerpug (Ryder) Perfect name as he "rides" everything!
    0.2.0 Children (Cadence 5, Jordan 2)
    Large Saltwater tank that contains Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Foxface, 4 Gobeys, firefish, a couple shrimps, and a grumpy Brittle Star that eats fish while they sleep!

Welcome to the site!
    ❤<3❤<3❤<3❤<3❤<3

1.1.0 Ball Pythons (Sauron & Sibelle)
    1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Neiko)
    0.1.0 Toy Rat Terrier (Daisy Marie)
    1.0.0 Red Nose Pit Bull mix (Choco)
    1.0.0 Bestest, most happiest fiance in the whole wide world! (Freddy) /!\CRITICALLY ENDANGERED SPECIE/!\ :lol: :oops:

*Pictures in my profile's album! Minus my fiance's picture, lol! xD*

Welcome! I agree with everyone, mine is like 5 months and over 30", I haven't measured him in a few weeks so I'm sure he's grown another inch or two. It does look & seem like yours is older and is just smaller for whatever reason (environment, hibernation, diet, ect.).