Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8x4x4' build thread

Lightbulb 8x4x4' build thread

So I am starting a little build thread for my Tegus 8x4x4' enclosure. Not really doing the thread to assist others ( but if it does then that is awesome) but more to get advice along the way. We plan on having a plumbed pond on the cool side with some sort of waterfall to aid in humidity. The other side will have a sunken hide that is about 12-18" in height and the whole width of the enclosure. It won't take away from total floor space as it will be designed to be under the subfloor and on piano hinges for times that I have to replace mulch. The enclosure will be in two parts just incase we ever need to transport it and we plan to build it on industrial dolly wheels to easily move it when need be. So these pictures are from tonight at phase one of the build. This enclosure is going to cost a pretty penny so if people see things that could cause a problem then feel free to let me know and we'll factor it in.

This last pictures shows the beams that will be the support for my built in pond to prevent any flexing what so ever. We were going to build the pond across the whole width but I didn't want to use that much floor space just incase he doesn't use it as much as I hope.
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada
    1.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dezie)
    0.1.0 Argenitne Red Tegu (rehome)
    1.0.1 Fat-Tailed Gecko (Holly and Chugington)
    1.0.0 Brittish Bulldog (Bently)
    1.0.0 Cockerpug (Ryder) Perfect name as he "rides" everything!
    0.2.0 Children (Cadence 5, Jordan 2)
    Large Saltwater tank that contains Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Foxface, 4 Gobeys, firefish, a couple shrimps, and a grumpy Brittle Star that eats fish while they sleep!

So this is what we got done last night. Doesn't seem like much but it is all to prevent the possibility of any flexing. We also have the enclosure being built in 2 parts so we can move it but we took a practice run with the base and its a no go. So now we are going to cut this entire thing in half and use mounting brackets to put it back together. We are going to attatch the sub floor from the outside to avoid ruining the finish if we do have to remove it so the base will be two parts, the sub floor will come right off and then the top piece. Hopefully that solves the problem we may face one day if we ever need to move it.

Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada
    Large Saltwater tank that contains Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Foxface, 4 Gobeys, firefish, a couple shrimps, and a grumpy Brittle Star that eats fish while they sleep!

What a project! I'm very interested to see how it works to cut it in half. This is a solution we had considered but felt it would mess up the water-tightness. My only suggestion at this point is that I would put the pond on the hot side to increase humidity and encourage the tegus to soak, and I'd put the bed on the cool side so they can dig in and chill without feeling antsy. Your two tegus in the picture look like they will outgrow this enclosure soon

yeah i cant wait to see how to turn out
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

Yes I agree about the hot and cool side. We had originally planned on having a pond that goes across the whole side but now it is only about half the side so we will be able to make a nice basking spot infront of the pond, should look nice. We are having trouble finding Drylock in Ontario. So now we need to call around and find something that is simillar. I am still hoping to have this done by Christmas.
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada

Here is my 8x4x4 enclosure(s) I build 2, one on top of the other, if I can give you any advice, it would be simple is better, think about cleaning, changing water, feeding, and any other work that might need to be done. I have a "humid box" that is connected to a hose/timer, waterbowl, hidearea/mulch pit, and a basking side, bout half the box... I will help if you have questions!!

Males:
    Females: Extreme Giant, RedxBlue Tegu, Blue Tegu
    Dogs: Diesel(TimberwolfHybrid) Dozer(PitMix)

just to put it out there, you might want to seal the inside of those cages. if not you'll get rot and mold in there. I would also use something other than a cardboard box because that to will mold & rot awfully quick.

& if those are red or black lights i'd change them out because they have been found to cause eye problems & even blindness in non-nocturnal animals.
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

I can't wait to see how the enclosure looks like when it's done . I hope the pond will not get cloged up because Tegus love to poop in the water and also get some mulch in there.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Thanks for the advice reppinReps! We are trying to keep out big plans as simple as we can. The pond will be plumbed so we can drain it within a couple minutes and refil in no time. I want to offer some nice options for my Tegu cause I have waited so long to have another large lizard, I can't help but spoil him! We haven't really done much this week to teh tank other then cut it in half, been so busy with shopping but I hope my hubby can focus soon and get some more done.
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada

I should have given a current picture, that was during the beginning stages, there are now rubbermaids in there and mulch only in one area, the rest I used outdoor carpet that I stapled to boards, so I can just take the boards out, spray them down then set them back in clean. I isnt a black light its the red heat light, and they just go on at night above their mulch pit to keep warm.
    Males:
    Females: Extreme Giant, RedxBlue Tegu, Blue Tegu
    Dogs: Diesel(TimberwolfHybrid) Dozer(PitMix)