Thread: INTRODUCTION / bit of a ?s on enclosure

Default INTRODUCTION / bit of a ?s on enclosure

Hey www.thetegu.com forum !My name is Kaseem i'm extremley excited to now be apart of such a great tegu forum website with such great tegu owners/breeders ill try to be an active member and post frequently ! As of now i do not have a tegu. I will be getting a Argentine b&w tegu june or july 2011 (the wait is going to be killer:sad: ) . Im doing ton's of research though and was wondering if a 30 gallon (36" x 18" x 12")with a 160watt powersun mvb bulb would be good or should i use a 100watt power sun for the 30gallon or I might use a 55gallon for the hatchling so if i use the 160watt power sun mvb bulb in the 55gallon would that be ok for the hatchling? Please give me feed back on this both postive and if so negative i just want to make sure my enclosure is 100% right for the lil guy (hopefully) when i get him.
    Also are the power sun mvb bulbs really good?I hear that they often blow out !I would like you opinion on the power sun mvb bulbs thanks!

Why are you waiting till June 2011 for the tegu?

i'm waiting until June or July because i am getting a varnyard tegu that is around the time when they hatch.

I think you're better off with a 55 gallon, which you will need to replace within 6 months if your tegu is growing fast and healthy. If you have a 30 gallon in addition, you could start him in that but expect to move to the 55 within a couple months. By comparison, we started our B & W Argentine in a 4' X 2' and it was too big for him the first 3-4 months, and too small to stay in all day by the 10th or 11th month. But every tegu is different and there is lots of variation in growth rate. If you have all this time to plan, I think the ideal would be to build an 8' x4' and start the tegu in a smaller, partitioned area where he can get used to his new territory while a hatchling.

Oh, and welcome!

Just some random thoughts:
    If the 55 is up high, then it can be hard to handle your tegu because you are swooping in like a bird every time you go to pick him up. But like HM said, they grow quickly and the size is an advantage. I think a 160 PowerSun is going to be too much for a 30, but may be OK for a 55. It really just depends on the room temps and how hot the basking area gets. A 100 may be too much for a regular 30 gal long. I used a 100 in a 40 breeder and it was fine, but that tank size is wider than a standard 30.

I like the Power Suns. If you have a stable fixture then they work well. I have one fixture that has been giving me issues and I think it made my 160 burn out. I don't know though because my 100 is working fine in there. At any rate, there is a warranty and it will be replaced for me. Overall, I have been satisfied. I really would like to get the MegaRay, they are the best on the market.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Yeah i'm going to just use the 55gallon i read and seem how fast they can grow. and the bigger the better i say when it come's to enclosure's also the 55 gallon will give me more time to work on a permanent enclosure.

thanks!