Thread: Gold Tegu question

Default Gold Tegu question

I have a baby gold Tegu She is around 2 feet long. I am going to be building her a new enclosure how big should it be to fit her for the rest of her life? Also how big would it need to be to fit 2? Can I feed her canned cat food or is canned dog food better ( I started feeding her crickets but she quit eating the and now wont even look at them)? Also how do you keep a big enclosure so humid and hot will I need more than 1 heat lamp ( I am planning on buy ing the light that is 160 watt and has UVA, UVB, and heat.

Thanks

6'x3'x2' give or take should be good for one, not sure how big for two. Maybe just a little bigger, 6x3x2 is plenty for one. You only need one basking light, but for a big cage you want another light, pref a uvb light with no heat. Do not feed dog or cat food, it's for dogs and cats, not lizards. A constant diet of such can lead to liver issues among other things. Feed insects/mice/lean ground meat/organ meats. If you have mold resistant mulch just dump in water to soak it and mix it up. Otherwise I've seen people like fogging/humidity machines.

For no reason do NOT feed it any kind of dog or cat food, it is not healthy for the tegu. he should eat raw meats like turkey, chicken hearts, liver, gizzered, necks.. fruits.. eggs.. a good deit will give him a better life span
    http://www.facebook.com/tegugurl
    http://http://tegusfromaroundtheworld.weebly.com/
    0.1.0 Red Tegu "Freyja"
    0.1.0 Argentine Black Nose Tegu "Mylnor"
    2.0.0 Chacoan Giant Tegu "Midgard & Murphy
    1.0.0 Chihuahua "Odie"

Ok thank you and also what type of bedding do you think is the best because I have heard of lots of different bedding you can use

Colombians don't like fruits and veggies at all, and are hardly necessary.
    For bedding choose something that holds moisture while being resistant to mold. Try cypress or eucalyptus. I normally mix this with some top soil. Just make sure there's nothing added to it, otherwise it is probably toxic. Do NOT use pine or cedar. I think those were the two no-no's.

Actually, Colombians do like fruit, and I think the plant matter is a healthy source of fiber, vitamins, and phytonutrients. My Colombians enjoy banana, berries, melon, mango, and papaya.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Mine don't like fruit.....their favorites are ground turkey mixed with beef liver and fuzzy mice.
    0.0.2 Colombian Tegus -- Tegusaurus Rex & Astrid
    1.0 Bearded Dragon -- Zeddicus
    4.3 Corn Snakes -- Drake, Lyra, Pantalaimon, Quetzal, Tanith, Esmerelda, Gwillan
    0.1 Hog Island Boa -- Bella
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa -- Norbert
    1.0 Ghost Honduran Milksnake -- Veil

If your tegus are still young, it may be juvenile tastes. All of my tegus prefer meat when they are younger and when they are building for hibernation, but eat more fruit as they get older and during the spring/summer.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets