Thread: Where to buy cages

Default Where to buy cages

I have used Boaphiles for my snakes, they are pretty good. The Vision cages look pretty nice but i don't know if 18" is high enough for a full grown argentine. Where have all of you bought your cages from and what models did you get for your adult tegus?

Build your own - It's cheaper or if you got $450 plus shipping to blow, here is one that would work for an adult...

http://www.boamaster.com/cage8.html
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Albino"
    1.1.0 Ball Python 100% "Het Albino"
    1.2.0 Ball Python "Pastel"
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Cinnamon Pastel"
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Spider"
    0.2.0 Ball Python "Normal"

I'm thinking a 6 footer though. the wall I will be putting it on is 6.5 feet wide, which would be perfect.

Default Cages

I have my Tegu in a Animal Plastics cage. it is 6 feet wide, 2 feet deep, and 2 feet high. Workds pretty good but can be difficult to clean. If you are looking for Vision cages, check out Bruce Edelman Reptiles on the web. I just got a 4x2x18inches for a Boa that with shipping came to $300. He has better prices than most that I have seen.

Six feet is good until your tegu reaches full size, which (assuming its an argentine b&w or red) is likely to be 4ft plus - which naturally will be too big for a 6ft cage. Unless youre pretty much free-roaming your lizard on a permanent basis, its best to get them either a 7 or 8ftx3 or 4ft enclosure at minimum (obviously this can be worked to an extent within existing space - 6ftx5ft etc) Mine has been in a 5ft cage for almost a year now, and its painfully obvious that he needs stacks more room - so hes going into his 8x3 hopefully this weekend.

Vision cages are nice (if a bit expensive, but I guess thats relative), but one of the issues some members here have with them is that theyre not very deep - usually only an inch or so deep, which doesnt allow for much mulch to be put in there for these tegus to dig in. Some people have piled mulch up at the back of the cage for digging, but then you run the risk of it clogging the runners for the doors and getting spread everywhere so it spills out when you open the cage. Still, its all down the individual at the end of the day how they want to deal with it I personally would build a cage, or get someone to make one for you - its generally infinitely cheaper, and you can customise the size and design.

I would also check out the classifed in kingsnake.com and reptileauction.com

You can often find used cages for very good prices and if you live near the seller you can just pick up and save on shipping. Check out this cage I got for $120 from an add in kingsnake.com. It is a little over 6 feet.

http://www.thetegu.com/modules.php?s...view_album.php

there is cagesbydesign.com very expensive though. Big apple cages I think and http://www.monster-cages.com/ They are expensive on here too. It all depends on your budget... if you have the money to spend go for it buy something 8' plus that you will never have to replace. What I did was pretty much search craigslist for like a couple of months looking for a nice used cage. I actually looked on kingsnakeclassifieds.com under the cages section and came across a super nice 6'x2'x2' black melamine enclosure for 120. They run for 300 new. I is a year old. I have an Arg B&W male so he is going to get big but in the mean time this is a nice way for me to go $ wise. People say melamine is bad but I haven't had a problem with him shedding. I just keep a litter-hide box that i mist daily and on the bottom to keep it from getting wet I got this rubber mate-like stuff from home-depot and lined the bottom with that. If you are trying to save money go for something used from someone who took good care of it. You can always build something but that is time consuming and pretty much will end up the cost of buying something pre-made and used. Hope this helps.

i make 4ft x 2ft by 16 inside for 180.00 plus shipping !
    www.boamaster.com

Lifebe4insanity Guest

I use feeding troughs like these:

They come in lots of sizes including 8'x3'x2 and 6'x2'x2.
    I just make simple custom tops for them.
    They've been popular for monitor breeders for a long time.
    Not the prettiest of cages. But they're cheap at under $150, they last damn near forever, easy to get (found at most any Farm Supply type store), and you can always paint it if you want it to fit in to you decor.