Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everyone post your tegu's diet!

Default Everyone post your tegu's diet!

Hi! I am interested in hearing what everyone is feeding their tegus. We get a lot of posts where it just says general ideas like "make sure they get their fruit" etc. but I would like to see what people are giving their tegus exactly and their feeding schedule.

Please also state the age and size of the tegu.

For me, he gets fed currently 3 times a week as he tends to be fat. He is 5 years old and 4.5ft long male arg b/w.

There is, for me, no "one meal protein, one meal fruit" etc. He gets part meat and part fruit in each meal. Meat is either a whole egg (boiled), chicken fillet (not ground) or a medium size rat, and a piece of the following fruits (papaya, strawberry, kiwi or bananas). I used to feed him fish too but not anymore.

Are fish good as a "whole prey" item?

Tegusaurus- Born October 28th 2010. 15 inches or so.

Diet- Every day he gets fed dubia roaches. then he gets fed raw ground turkey and banana on day 1, then catfish and canned papaya and red banana on day 3, and then on day 5 he gets fed 2 pinkies.

Still new to tegus so if i need to add or remove anything to this diet, let me know, please!

Well I don't have a Tegu, but here is what I plan to feed him once I'll have one:

Whole prey, fish, chicken/turkey, other meat (all supplemented), occasionnaly eggs and tortoise mazuri.
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

Interesting. Tortoise mazuri I am aware are fed to iguanas as well as tortoises by many, are they suited to tegus too? They have good stuff in it, but there is also grasses and hay in it. Is that ok to feed tegus?

I also read about this dog food (HOW DARE I!!!!) called the BARF diet, stands for Biologically adequate raw food or something similar. I looked over the ingredients and it was basically raw (REAL, not by product)meats, organs, ground up bones, fruits and vegetables made into patties. I thought it sounded great for tegus, but read that there are dangers feeding this and that many vets are against it for dogs etc.? They are very expensive. Most seem to think it is nutritionally sound but that there are dangers with bacteria, parasites and possible sharp edges on bones? Does anyone know?

Well, I don't know nothing about this product, but if you want to give good quality ''meat replacement'' for your tegu, I would suggest you the amphibian and carnivorius gel of mazuri.
    https://www.mazuri.com/Home.asp?Products=2&Opening=8
    Ben

Babies Adults
    Day 1 Eggs & Kiwi Day 1 Eggs & Kiwi
    Day 2 Dubias & Banana Day 2 no feeding
    Day 3 Turkey & Melon Day 3 Turkey & Melon
    Day 4 Pinkies Day 4 no feeding
    Day 5 Crickets Day 5 Rodents & Banana
    Day 6 Turkey & cantaloupe Day 6 no feeding
    Day 7 random mix of anything above Day 7 Turkey & fruit
    My tegu's are smarter than your honor student!
    Please hit LIKE on my page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Keys-K...9581724?ref=ts
    Check out my youtube channel aswell http://www.youtube.com/user/STLherps

1.1. Blue Tegus
    0.1 Red Tegu
    0.1 Black & White Tegu
    0.1 Striped AFT
    0.1.2 Crested Geckos
    0.1 100% DBL het Leather beardie
    0.1 Red Tranz beardie
    1.0 Hypo Leather 100% het tranz beardie

These days our Tegu's diet consists of... absolutely nothing! They're hibernating!
    1.1 Blue Tegus, 1.1 Cuban Rock Iguanas
    1.1 Bearded Dragons, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon
    0.1 Columbian Boa, 1.0 Ball Python, 0.0.1 Corn

lol i agree dave, but i have Jonesy & skyy awake

So they get my turkey, beef liver, calcium powder, & fruit mix/mush, whole fish, random friuts, rats/mice 2-3 times a week (depending on age)
    the small/younger ones get roaches, worms, & other small prey. (and i'll give a small chick once/twice a month)

the adults when out side in the summer dig up & eat all kinds of grums, worms, & other bugs.
    i also have a garden so i toss in lettuce, tomatoes, mellons, black berries, rasberries, & other greens.
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

Quote Originally Posted by Ben3233 View Post
    Well, I don't know nothing about this product, but if you want to give good quality ''meat replacement'' for your tegu, I would suggest you the amphibian and carnivorius gel of mazuri.
    https://www.mazuri.com/Home.asp?Products=2&Opening=8
    Yeah but carnivorous would be for monitors and stuff like that right? For a tegu you would need omnivorous I would think. I don't think Mazuri has a thing for omnivores, but I have used mazuri tortoise diet for herbivores and think it's really good. Its unfortunate that the distributor for mazuri here is a real idiot and makes it almost impossible for people to buy it. There is also some other shops with fake product going around and some people selling expired mazuri repackaged and there were worms and moths inside. I've had so many problems with trying to get mazuri that I gave up on that. There is an omnivorous diet thing from Zupreem I think, but I've never seen it.

I just really thought after reading the ingredients of the BARF diet that it would be very good and healthy, although I keep reading all the people against it say that it is dangerous. I read about it after the other thread that talked about Bobby Hill (Varnyard) feeding raw turkey, beef liver and cod liver oil along with some cooked eggs and rodents and calcium supplements. And basically, the ingredients for this BARF thing includes all those things, along with bones, fruits and vegetables. I do know about the risk of parasites from feeding anything raw, but that goes with any raw meat at all. However, the horror stories about the crushed bones cutting innards of dogs that some people posted has me scared.
    I don't know if those stories are true, or whether they were of people actually using the product, or they were making it with the ingredients themselves and didn't crush the bones right, as the guy who makes them apparently sells manuals of how to make it yourself at home, and to buy his product if you can't be bothered to make it yourself.

Also, I saw it in the petstore and it was expensive. It was in a freezer, with a lock! Must be precious, and cost quite a bit. I am not sure if my tegu would even eat it because he likes to eat chunks of meat instead of minced patties.

I am really tempted to try but am a little bit worried about the bones thing.

Well the point of mazuri is to create a food that is very equilibrate for every animal. I've used tortoise Mazuri for both of my tortoise. One is herbivorius (hermann) and the other is omnivorius (redfoot). Even if this diet was created for ''herbivorius species'' I believe that the amount of protein ingested by both animal are equal. In the wild, tortoise will eat carrion and insect even if they are herbivorius.

Monitor are carnivorius animal. Feeding them with carnivoruis mazuri would be perfect. Tortoise are herbivorius/omnivorius so feeding them tortoise mazuri is perfect. So if you take a mix of those 2 mazuri product you'll be able to create a diet that would be suitable for a tegus.

Here's the mix I would try :
    70% Tortoise mazuri
    30% Carnivorius Mazuri or Crocodilian Mazuri

Of course, that's just my opinion.
    Ben