Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rabbits as a staple feeder

Glad I could help! Yes that I have heard about the marigold idea before...and it sounds even more appealing because they are rather inexpensive
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

Never heard of the marigold thing! My mother possibly has, its her garden. I think I got her some marigold seeds last year actually.
    Good to know about the parasites in rabbits! We have an infestation of wild turkeys too, which are pretty lean, but have a lot of meat(~6-10 lbs per bird of boneless meat). I'm excited to head out to my parents place this spring and get some free food.
    1.0.0 B&W Argentine Tegu (Dio)
    1.1.0 Crested geckos (re homed)
    0.1.0 Tartar Sand Boa(re homed)
    0.1.0 Axolotl (Smaug)
    1.0.0 Tabby Cat (Dippy)
    Madagascar Hissing roaches

Turkeys too? Man..tegus would have fun there...if they could catch them...lol
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad

If you're lucky enough to catch one of those wild rabbits alive and worry about parasites you can give it a dose of ivermectin 1/10 cc per pound of body weight (you can get ivermectin at tractor supply, ask for ivermectin injectable for cattle but give it orally to rabbits not injected sub q), or you could dose with panacur (fenbendiazole) 25 mg/kg of weight orally. You should also be able to get fenbendiazole at tractor supply. I use teh safeguard for horses and it works great. Give 2 doses over the course of 2 days (1 dose per day) and you will be parasite free. I'm not certain if there would be any secondary toxicity to your tegu tho using these meds. You'd need to check that out first. OR if you just shoot the lil booger (or don't want to run the course of de-wormer), gut him, remove the intestines and stomach where parasites might be present. Parasites like that don't live in muscle tissue or other organs. It's all GI infestation.
    "The Worst Sin to OUR Fellow Creatures is NOT to Hate Them... But to be Indifferent to Them...
    THAT'S the Essence of Inhumanity
    "

~George Bernard Shaw~

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Shrink View Post
    If you're lucky enough to catch one of those wild rabbits alive and worry about parasites you can give it a dose of ivermectin 1/10 cc per pound of body weight (you can get ivermectin at tractor supply, ask for ivermectin injectable for cattle but give it orally to rabbits not injected sub q), or you could dose with panacur (fenbendiazole) 25 mg/kg of weight orally. You should also be able to get fenbendiazole at tractor supply. I use teh safeguard for horses and it works great. Give 2 doses over the course of 2 days (1 dose per day) and you will be parasite free. I'm not certain if there would be any secondary toxicity to your tegu tho using these meds. You'd need to check that out first. OR if you just shoot the lil booger (or don't want to run the course of de-wormer), gut him, remove the intestines and stomach where parasites might be present. Parasites like that don't live in muscle tissue or other organs. It's all GI infestation.
    People use Panacur to treat reptiles for parasites so I think it would be safe to use on the reptiles food.WEll I know people use it on snakes so I don't think it would affect a tegu?

Panacure supposedly has a pretty low toxicity rate, I mean overdose factor is almost unheard of in dogs and rabbits. I think you could double the recommended dose and still not have toxic side effects. Good to know it is useable in reptiles too. I thought I had seen people mention on my gecko forum using it on ther leopard geckos but again, different herps have different sensitivities. Only thing I don't like about it is it kills the good bacteria in the gut so flora is unbalanced so it should be used with a probiotic, altho there is a horse dewormer you can use on rabbits that only kills the parasite called Herd guard. It's a liquid that you either dilute or you just put the solid blocks of it in their cages and they nibble as they want... again highly safe, low toxicity rate, and leaves the good flora intact.

I think I've taken this topic slightly off track haven't I??
    "The Worst Sin to OUR Fellow Creatures is NOT to Hate Them... But to be Indifferent to Them...
    "

~George Bernard Shaw~

A little off topic, haha but helpful nonetheless. I'm pretty sure if I was able to live trap a wild hare I would NEVER be able to get to its mouth. Those things are all muscle, teeth, and claws, even the babies. The best bet is gutting it right away I think, which shouldnt be hard.
    I've seen parasites in wild caught fish muscle tissue, a big spiral shaped worm. I assume that is a marine parasite/nematode but does anyone know of any that may be in mammals?

The upside is that everyone on the island hates the rabbits and turkeys, and that the turkeys have decided our yard is their feasting ground. They are like shooting fish in a barrel, they just run back and forth until you take one down. Then they are back pooing everywhere the next day like nothing happened.
    1.0.0 B&W Argentine Tegu (Dio)
    1.1.0 Crested geckos (re homed)
    0.1.0 Tartar Sand Boa(re homed)
    0.1.0 Axolotl (Smaug)
    1.0.0 Tabby Cat (Dippy)
    Madagascar Hissing roaches

I am not to sure...but fish absorb things quite well...and they can hold things within their tissues for a while...

I am not sure but i do not think mammals can do this
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad

Mammals have their own parasites. Some are super specific and some can be transmitted species to species or animal to human (zoonosis). Coccidia is a common parasite of rabbits that can infect reptiles and it is not treated with Panacur, but with Albon. Albon is an antibiotic and a bit more challenging than Panacur.

Mammals store chemicals and hormones in the fat tissue, so you have to be cautious of pesticide, herbicide, etc exposure. That's why there is such a big deal about antibiotic and hormone use in beef cattle...they are stored in fat. Certain foods are fed to chickens to give the meat a yellow color a la Purdue. Ever notice how yellow chicken fat is? Marigolds and carotinoids are fed to poultry to enhance the yellow color that consumers prefer.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

To the best of my knowledge there are no parasites that can live in the muscle tissue of mammals aside of things like bot flies and the like which would be obvious if they were present. Using albon to treat coccidia is the proper protocol for dogs but most rabbit breeders use sulfaquinoxaline or corid to treat rabbits, if they treat at all. Using albon on rabbits is possible but generally not as effective. usually coccidia cases are culled.
    "

~George Bernard Shaw~