Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard Question about Cypress Mulch

Quote Originally Posted by saided View Post
    Haha it shouldnt be very hard! you could even get some pruners at a hardware store and cut off the branches before its cut down and do him a favor! Then all he has to do is aim the chipper in two places, and voila! A separate pile for tegu mulch.
    this is a little bigger job than that. The tree is about 80-100 years old with maybe a thousand branches. The tree had been topped at one point so the branches are fat. The whole thing grows through a power line so they'll likely take it down in sections. And the chipper is one of those that's part of a truck the size of a double moving van. I may as well send Hernando out to bite off all the branches!

I don't know the answer, but here's food for thought. I looked at your links. I don't think there's anything called Louisiana Cypress...it must be Bald Cypress or Swamp Cypress. Blad Cypress is odorless, which we know from using it. When I looked at the Italian Cypress link, it said that is has an odor similar to cedar and it is evergreen. I wonder if it has irritating oils like pine and cedar. I would find out for sure before I used it.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Quote Originally Posted by laurarfl View Post
    I don't know the answer, but here's food for thought. I looked at your links. I don't think there's anything called Louisiana Cypress...it must be Bald Cypress or Swamp Cypress. Blad Cypress is odorless, which we know from using it. When I looked at the Italian Cypress link, it said that is has an odor similar to cedar and it is evergreen. I wonder if it has irritating oils like pine and cedar. I would find out for sure before I used it.
    Ok, knowing that lizard mulch cypress is odorless sounds like it's a whole different game from Italian Cypress. BTW, the cypresses in my link weren't called Louisiana Cypress, they were the cypress forests/swamps of Louisiana, just for the record. (Cypress forested wetlands are having the same problems on the west coast of Florida, and much of it is believed to be from poaching -- it's bad news in storm season.)

Anyway, the whole story is moot now. My arborist said it would be logistically impossible to remove the leaves and twigs before running it through the mulcher, plus the mulcher shoots all the chips far into the back of this huge, long truck it's mounted on, where it's mixed with all sorts of nasty wood. At least they do use the mulch elsewhere in the county (we have a lot of composting activity here).

Thanks all for your input.

Oops. When I read Louisiana cypress mulch" I interpreted it as them calling the tress Louisiana cypress. hahaha It's like the "panda eats shoots and leaves" or the "panda eats, shoots, and leaves."
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets