Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: columbian tegu question

Hi,.. welcome to the site and thanks for coming .

Herky looks good to me average size for a baby Colombian, just proportionate enough and not too skinny. They don't hibernate like other Gu s but they do slow down or brumate around this time of year. They may sleep for a few days and not eat as much as usual but its normal and they'll come around.

When feeding pinkies you can try 2 for it's next feeding, one live, one pre killed, dusted with calcium D3 and cut open just a little. Since they are movement motivated at this stage, the live one should get it's attention, then go for the second if its still hungry. You can also try 2 pre killed hoppers and chop them up to peak its interest with the taste of blood. Some peopel don't like to go that far but it's always an option.

It's young so its still learning what's good and not good to eat. With that in mind its small and has a little stomach so for now its not able to eat that much. To guesstimate how much and when to feed by the skin fold on their side. When they're full they have a nice round and plump tummy. As the food digests and they defecate you'll start to see one fold or two on each side, pretty much running the length of their abdomen.

That fold and how prominent it is gives you a pretty good idea of how hungry they are and how much they'll eat. When its not that prominent if I feed them at all I'll offer a little of something light like turkey and fruit. About a teaspoon and see how much it eats and go from there. When it's more prominent I offer whole foods like hoppers, crickets, roaches or what ever.

It'll also help keep you from wasting food and feeding when they're not hungry. You can also use their down time, when it does go to sleep for a few days. To introduce new foods in to their diet when they wake up good and hungry. By trying a meat mash with different stuff mixed in like all the things you have tried that it will not eat.

From the fish to the cricket and super worms mashed into a mix with fruits. Adding a little honey or Cod liver oil will also help. So that it gets use to the different smells and tastes early on so that it's more willing to accept different foods later on.

0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

awesome! any idea when he might start filling out? like becomming decent sized? hard to explain but maybe you know what i mean. Like big enough that he wont get lost under the couch when he sprints at 10000 mph away from me. haha. Or even better yet how old r they usually when theyre full grown?

I keep my Colombians cooler,like 95-100 basking. They don't hibernate, but do like to burrow and hide. I also like to feed the egg yolk since that portion contains the vitamins and the fat is good for fat soluble vitamins and cholesterol is necessary for the body to produce hormones. I'm not debating STL, just saying that people have different care routines.

Your guy looks really healthy in the pics.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets