Thread: Everything is Finished!

Default Everything is Finished!

The stuff on the ramps going up, with the yellow stripe, are adhesive grit paper for stairs to keep people from slipping. I originally was going to use glue and stick sand to it but while i was at Lowes today i saw this stuff and really liked it. It will not only give great grip when he climbs up, but it will also keep his nails "filed" so to speak, and i have noticed he likes the feeling of it on his underside because he slowly goes up and down it,backwards, like hes scratching his stomach. I have about 6 inches of substrate all around, Eco Coconut bark, which i have found holds humidity tremendously, but can be a bit messy to clean up. In one or two of the pics you can see vents in the upper parts on both sides used for ventilation.. of course lol. The basking spot his way to hot,i tested it out before i painted it and it was 162, so i cut an 1 1/2 off each leg and then painted black. Well when i tested again, after having everything in there and the lights on for about 45 min i found that the basking spot was a womping 184.3!!! so instead of going back and cutting down all the pieces of wood im just going to down size from a 150 watt SunGlo Tight beam to maybe a 100, and then check what the basking temp is.Should i maybe go lower in wattage??? what do you think? Well i hope everyone likes it, i know Mushu does. Hes been investigating it for the past 30 min now. His original cage,48x18x18 was in my closet, where he would rarely see us and now hes out in our room to where he can clearly see us at all times. Which is a good thing i think because he will grow more accustomed. Its funny because he keeps poking his head over the lip just enough where he can see me. The cages total cost was probably in the ballpark of about 450-500. If anyone has anything they think i should do or change please let me know! Thank you for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rofeki; 02-07-2011 at 04:46 AM.

looks great i love it
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

Looks amazing bro! Do you feed him in the roaming spot? Might make him less food aggressive if he's not eating in his enclosure. Once he gets big enough to climb out you could easily put up walls and a roof with sliding doors there so he can get out to roam the house, but looks great
    My tegu's are smarter than your honor student!
    Please hit LIKE on my page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Keys-K...9581724?ref=ts
    Check out my youtube channel aswell http://www.youtube.com/user/STLherps

1.1. Blue Tegus
    0.1 Red Tegu
    0.1 Black & White Tegu
    0.1 Striped AFT
    0.1.2 Crested Geckos
    0.1 100% DBL het Leather beardie
    0.1 Red Tranz beardie
    1.0 Hypo Leather 100% het tranz beardie

Thanks alot guys. Yea I might change it up from time to time and feed him in his pen, but hedoes perfectly well being fed in his enclosure not a bit of food agression with him at all. I like the roof idea, but I'm sure I'll be in a different house or apartment within the next year so his enclosure he has now will either be different or wil be adjusted for his size

What are the specs and manufacturers recommended distances on the light? What kind of back ground do you have on there and what is the platform made of? Depending on what they are,. all of these things can contribute to the elevated temps. Which are dangerously high, everything in that area can be conducting heat and practically creating an oven.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

Please note that those temps were before he was placed in there. I went through a trial week to get my highs, lows, basking temps etc in check. I moved the basking bulb up 7 inches so it is 14 inches from the basking surface. Ambient temps range from 87.2(hot side) to 77.6(cool side) in his hide and 65-70% humidity. To answer your questions bubblz the basking spot is 1/8 in plywood, the background his self adhesive tile with 1/2 inch styrofoam behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by rofeki
    The basking spot his way to hot,i tested it out before i painted it and it was 162, so i cut an 1 1/2 off each leg and then painted black. Well when i tested again, after having everything in there and the lights on for about 45 min i found that the basking spot was a womping 184.3!!! so instead of going back and cutting down all the pieces of wood im just going to down size from a 150 watt SunGlo Tight beam to maybe a 100, and then check what the basking temp is.Should i maybe go lower in wattage??? what do you think?
    Okay,.. but it was confusing since you asked about the heat, and if you should switch to a lower wattage bulb which was just 2 days ago.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

Very nice job. looks great.
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

Quote Originally Posted by bubblz View Post
    Okay,.. but it was confusing since you asked about the heat, and if you should switch to a lower wattage bulb which was just 2 days ago.
    Yea I had been piecing everything in the post for that whole week. Guess I should have looked over it all again. He's been in there for several days now and everything is in check.