Thread: Grumpy females?

Question Grumpy females?

So, I'm not a tegu breeder, nor do I have any experience with tegu breeders. This will be my females third spring and she's always been the nicest most tame of the three. She came out of hibernation about a month ago and was fine. In the last week though she's been going through food like crazy and rushing us mouth open if we're rustling through the cage while cleaning. We've had to take her out and leave her to wander the room while cleaning now. Her boyfriend has always been a little grump, but she's not picking on him at all and they're still co-habitating just fine. Is it just 'that time of year'? Does anyone who've bred tegus get the same reaction from their females during this period? I've been keeping an eye on them, but there hasn't been any action. I guess I'm just looking for a little guidance, in hindsight she could be just hungry from the long sleep, but she's pushing fatty after only a few weeks. :lol:
    0.1 B&W Tegu (Remington Steel)
    1.0 Extreme Giant Tegu (Smallz)
    1.0 Blue Tegu (Shakespeare)

0.1 Red Tegu (Izma)
    0.0.1 Caiman Lizard (Bubba)
    0.1 Black Throat Monitor (Tanin)
    1.1 Emerald Tree Boas (Buddy & Ezzy)
    0.1 Lavender Albino Reticulated Python (Leelu)
    1.0 Granite Burmese Python (Reaper)
    --
    Too Many. Ball Pythons
    Too Many. Jungle Carpet Pythons

Well, with one female I get that reaction 24/7. She's always territorial, but a puppy outside of her cage. I would never clean with her inside. The other is usually only grumpy around nesting time and only if someone is close to her nest. She was with the male during hibernation and she acts likes she's building a nest. I can open one side of the cage and pet her and do whatever. If I open the other side near her hide box/nest, she runs over to check me out in a defensive manner. Last year after she nested, she would attack the other female if they were ever close, but always tolerated the male.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets