Thread: tegu behavior

Default tegu behavior

i have a 1 year old golden tegu named "Sam", i have had him since he was 2 months old and every one keeps telling me that they get very aggressive. Sam is very calm and hangs out with me all the time. Can his behavior change?

Quote Originally Posted by nmiller View Post
    i have a 1 year old golden tegu named "Sam", i have had him since he was 2 months old and every one keeps telling me that they get very aggressive. Sam is very calm and hangs out with me all the time. Can his behavior change?
    My instincts tell me that whoever told you that, is most likely an idiot...

You're Tegu's behavior will not change unless you do something that will cause her to react negatively, such as change in husbandry, feeding,, handling etc.
    Try and pick and choose who you take advice from concerning Tegu's, they are unlike any other lizard, and unless the person giving you advice has done a ton of research, or has had personal experience, they most likey have NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

With that, welcome to the site, and enjoy your Tegu, she will be sweet and loving until the day she dies

In the past, Colombian or golden tegus were given a negative reputation because of aggressive behavior. I think many of them were wild caught and just nervous or flighty. I have two Colombian adults and neither are aggressive. One is a little more nervous than the other, but I don't know about her background (I got her at about 6 months old and she was not handled a lot). But both will hang out and can be hand fed if one so desired (not a recommended practice though).

If you look around on some of the other threads, you'll see some others with tame Colombians.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

at "puberty" some dont always go back to their friendy self.... but at 2yrs old yours would have already gone through it already.
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    at "puberty" some dont always go back to their friendy self.... but at 2yrs old yours would have already gone through it already.
    He stated he's had his Tegu 2 months, and that it's 1 year old But even at a year I think they've still past any possibility of puberty.

yeah i got the numbers mixed up, but yeah even 1yr old should be past puberty. sorry about that
    (i was tired & trying to play halo when i was typing)
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

Quote Originally Posted by nmiller View Post
    Keep doing what you're doing like previously stated they do have a bad rep. But you have had yours for 10mths of its life so you're pretty much over the getting to know you stage.
    Any changes from here on out maybe temporary due to new enclosure set ups or something. Even then just give them time to settle in, figure things out and they'll usually go back to normal.

Would love to see pics if you haven't posted any already.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

Sounds as though you have a very good Tegu. Keep up the good work and enjoy.

I have two Colombians as well and my girl was mean to the previous owner but she's acts better than some Argentines ever since I had her. Never an incident. The young boy I have did act a little nervous but as laura stated both will (not recommended) eat out of my hand.
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

I just want to second what the others have said...My tegu actually never needed to be "tamed" he has always been relaxed and nice...and as time goes on he is becoming more and more laid back
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

Quote Originally Posted by bubblz View Post
    Keep doing what you're doing like previously stated they do have a bad rep. But you have had yours for 10mths of its life so you're pretty much over the getting to know you stage.
    Any changes from here on out maybe temporary due to new enclosure set ups or something. Even then just give them time to settle in, figure things out and they'll usually go back to normal.

Would love to see pics if you haven't posted any already.
    thanks for welcoming me and i put some pictures of sam on show and tell