Thread: Periwinkles

Hybrid View

Default Periwinkles

I was looking for a place that supplies snails and I found one but it's kind of far away. Then I found a grocery store that sells live bags of periwinkle snails.

Anyone ever fed "winkles"? lol

I have fed de-shelled canned snails to my blue tongue skink as well as my tegu when he was younger. I bought them from zoo-med...
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

No, I have never tried to feed mine snails because I couldn't find any at a store. I didn't want to feed the ones you find at a pet store ( in a fish tank ) or the ones outside. If you feed them to your Tegu please let us know how it went. Thank you and good luck.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I just bought a bag of live periwinkles and froze them to kill off any possible parasites.

They should be ready to be fed in a couple weeks (if my new baby is willing to eat them in a couple weeks, haha)

I don't want to tell you what to do and I'm no expert, but I believe a freeze is not sufficient to kill off the worst parasites. In nature there are different life stages of various worms and other little parasites, some of which are highly evolved to make it through the winter. This is especially true if the vector makes its living for part of its life in a small, cold-blooded, dampness-loving creature like a snail.

We have a reptile that subsists mainly on slugs and snails in her homeland, but we've never been able to feed her any because our soil is so infested with roundworm eggs, larvae, and adults. The eggs of roundworm, for example, can live for 2-3 YEARS, meaning multiple over-winters with exposure to freezing temperatures. Snails from aquarium stores have their own horrible parasites; it's just the nature of the genus.

I don't mean this as criticism of you, I'm just concerned that you are aware of the risks. Any way that you can get the snails tested at a veterinary lab, county ag advisor or nearby university?

These snails are from the local grocery store farmed for human consumption so I imagine the parasite risk is minimal.

And no, there is no way I can have them tested.