Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: M8.8!!!

Glad to hear you and your pets are okay... stay safe!!
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

I came here to check on you. I'm glad to hear you are safe. One of my daughters has a high school aged friend in Japan and we have not heard from her yet, but I think she is in the mountain area.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I feel so horrible for Japan, I was glued to the news all morning. I live near the cost of Oregon and everyone has been evacuated, we're waiting for a tsunami to hit but nothing so far exempt some big waves and the water reseeding back farther than usual. Please stay safe I hope the US will help soon.
    Last edited by LovleyLin; 03-11-2011 at 09:42 PM.
    One Male Ferret Chaplin
    Two Male Boer Goats Edward and Henry
    One Male Pygmy Goat Nicolas
    One Male Argentine B&W Tegu Lucien

RIP ferret: Loki

I'm glad to hear that you and your animals are save. I will keep you, LoveleyLin and all others in my prayers. Thank you for keeping us posted.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

dead people incresed over 300 and the missing people are over 1400 in the earthquake center
    Though okyo, my town has some distance from the earthquake center, there are trafic jam around here
    and people run to all super-markets/mini-markets and buying foods/water/goods for seismic isolation etc
    The Tokyo tower has been bent on the top and my house has got some cracks on the surface

Thank God that you and your human and reptile loved ones are safe. Where I live we have great empathy for Japan right now, as we have memories of our own quakes -- and they were only a fraction as powerful as this one. I woke up to announcements of highway closures and evacuations nearby as the tsunami was expected (thankfully, only boats were damaged here) and all I could think of were people who must be trapped or had lost their lives near the epicenter. I was just listening about the nuclear reactors -- that is so worrisome. I know that Japan has very good structural engineering codes because of so much history with earthquakes, but with a nuclear reactor there are forces potentially more powerful than man or nature.

I hope you can get calm and get rested. Even though you know you are safe, I understand how your heart must be jumping with every little aftershock. This will all subside; please try to find some peace.

the nuclear plant in Hukusima where is distance 260km from Tokyo has been exploded two hours ago
    and maybe radiation leak from a reactor
    The Japan government won't make public certain and clear facts about this
    (because they consider about national panic)

We worry about radiation comes to central Tokyo with winds

I saw that they have been venting gases from three reactors. The radiation levels are low, but of course it stays in the atmosphere all over the world, essentially forever. One of the reactors might be approaching a meltdown. They are trying to get electricity to run the cooling chamber. One plan is to helicopter in a generator.

scarly, because the radiation is invisible
    if I was contaminated by radioactivity, I'll lose my hair
    Hernandomom, how sould I do?
    I shut all windows out at least....

The levels in the air are low, you won't get poisoned in that way. I know many people there must be frightened. I think stay indoors, listen for information on the radio. They ask people nearby the release to cover themselves, carry a damp towel over your face if you go outdoors, then change clothes as soon as possible. But you are far from this area. What's carried in the wind is very dilute; I'm sure you are safe. We all have it in the atmosphere since the 1940's, but no one thinks about it until times like this.