Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: M8.8!!!

carrying a damp towel over your face if you go outdoors is nothing! It won't the solution
    I guess the goverment says lie
    No one believe the announce about newclear
    Still frightten

The idea would be to filter dust particles from getting into your lungs. If I were there I'd stay indoors. I'd be sitting under a table in a big bathrobe with a tegu on my knee, a cup of tea, and plenty of scotch and dark chocolate. This is the best way to cope with a stressful situation, no matter what anyone tells you. Relax and know that you are safe, your building survived the powerful quake. This will pass and you will be fine.

HernandoMom, thank you
    I am relax with my Pompadour(tegu)and other animals

The government announced people must keep out the 20km in radius from the newclear plant
    An hour ago, it was 10km in radius
    It means the irradiated area has expanded hour by hour
    Some people in Hukusima where is nearby Tokyo have been irradiated already
    Last edited by Godspeed; 03-12-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Missing increased 10,000people right now

I've also heard that they are giving potassium iodine to area residents to prevent further iodide absorption. I don't know the dose though. Apparently only three residents have been exposed to radiation and the nuclear plant core is being cooled. That is the latest update that I have heard. I know it's easy to say from the other side of the world, but try not to panic. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

When people are ordered to leave the expanded area, this does not mean that high radiation has reached that area. They are evacuated out of precaution, because of calculations of how far the cloud MIGHT spread if released, and what the expected winds are. In the reporting I've seen, those with high radiation exposure so far are few in number, mostly workers at the plant where a building (not a reactor) exploded as a result of the hot hydrogen being released.

I have not heard about the iodine distribution. This is a first-response step taken if there is concern about exposure. When radiation enters a person's body, there are places where it tends to concentrate. Your thyroid gland is one of these. To over-simplify, the radiation is held by bonds of a form of iodine in the body. Special, "clean" iodine is ingested to displace the irradiated iodine so that large concentrations can be flushed out.

If it is true that this is being distributed to some people, it may only be precautionary.

The Japanese energy agency is reporting that the reactors are not damaged and that they are starting to be cooled, and that the elevated radiation levels at the plant have gone down since the explosion (of course, I think this means that radioactive gas they were venting was dispersed away from the plant, but it had to go somewhere). Even if it is reasonable to mistrust this agency, I do think the danger is no longer building. I think the news of this reactor will start to get better, although the news of the tsunami's devastation will continue to be heartbreaking.

Other anxiety
    Tokyo Electric Power Company announced knock out power our area tommorow some hours...

Without heating, the recent room-temparature is around 12-14C degree
    maybe, reptiles will get cold and sleep without electric power...

So that is about 55 degrees F....They should be OK for a day or so. Is it a turtle and tegu? Just try to keep them away from drafty windows and find a warm place off the floor. Hopefully it will just be for a short time.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I hope so
    My animals(red tegu/roughneck monitor/pythons/boas/tortoise/turtle etc)will survive that problem

i don't have an oil heating
    but I will warm-up them with my body at least

I think if they all sleep in bed with you they might fight!