Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: M8.8!!!

Just a thought, but there are animal rescue networks like Japan Cat Network that work with humane care of pets (and strays). These networks are currently working to assist pet owners during the earthquale aftermath. Perhaps contacting them is a place to start in finding someone to help care for your animals temporarily. http://japancatnet.sblog.jp/

There's not much we in the US can do as individuals except to watch helplessly. However, we can make even a small $10 donation to the American Red Cross by texting REDCROSS to 90999. There are people waiting in line for blocks to get water from a swimming pool, people walking for hours just to purchase ramen noodles, people who cannot purchase gas because it is being held for emergency vehicles only. The Japanese government is trying to help the victims, but it is overwhelmed and the infrastructure is broken down, making some places unreachable. I have watched the response of the Japanese people and have been so impressed by their response to this disaster. There is so much honor in their culture. People are not looting the stores and robbing each other. Elder citizens are treated with dignity. We could learn a lot!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

There was an earthquake above level 6.0 on Shizuoka where is next to Tokyo a few min ago! Tokyo was shaken as well
    my feeling grow weary of this situation...

Many are pouring from all corners of Japan to Pet Network/Pet rescue/Pet hotel etc alreadly
    I guess they are all full of animals and they have no nuclear fallout shelter
    I will leave from Tokyo sooner or later without animals as a last resort

I understand that you have to take of yourself first. If there was anything at all I could do to help, I would. :( I feel so helpless reading your posts and knowing the distress you must feel.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs

Maybe I'm hearing a delayed report, but it sounds like you've just had another 6.0? This must be driving you crazy. :(

I'm with Laura's last post. It's so hard to read all of this and not be able to help out :( . I'm very glad that you keep us posted so we can hear from you and know you are still OK. May all this be over soon and nobody will get hurt.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Thank you for all your warm comments
    This time, I keenly aware of owner's responsibility for reptiles
    If Electic power down, it means fatal for reptile
    It is early spring here, the temps are 10C degree in Tokyo, but the area of the earthquake center is more North than Tokyo
    Now it is under 0C degree outside
    Probably, most of reptiles have been dead in that area

Also there is rediation problem
    It is invisible and fadeless fearfulness
    I cannot feed wildflower/native grass on my tortoise any more

Keeping reptiles is shoulder a burden, if keepers meet this kind of sudden accident
    Keeping many rep collection is a big problem in this kind of situation
    Now it is not only earthquake and radiation problems, but also Japan's changing in future social conditions financially
    I might quit this hobby in there, maybe I will be tighten keeping animals

I feel keen responsibility for causing serious trouble
    They just come to this foreign country from far away and the keeper nothing to do...
    Last edited by Godspeed; 03-16-2011 at 08:26 AM.

I share your sorrow about all this.

So much of everything -- humans, property, pets, wildlife, habitats -- perished in the tsunami, it's hard for me to think about.

You can't take on the burden of feeling bad for every reptile exposed in this disaster. I hope you can get some sleep so you are able to take care of yourself and help your family if they need you. You have such special appreciation for your pets, as is evident in all your beautiful pictures of them. I know you'll do the best you can for them, then that's all you can do.

I'm sure everything possible is being done to control those reactors, and am hoping and hoping that the worst is over. I'm disgusted that every month in my electric bill I'm paying to support one of these nuclear plants. The good news is that these events are making people and even governments all over the world reconsider reliance on nuclear energy.

Visiting foreign citizens in Japan rush to airport to escape from radioactivity

I'm speechless. I really have no words to offer. Anything I am going through pales in comparison to what you are experiencing. Try not to dwell on the negative, for your own peace of mind.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs

We all know that you love your animals and care for them very well. But sometimes your hands are tied up and there is nothing you can do. I know it's hard but right now you have to think about your family ( I know the pets are family, too ). I really wish there is something we can do for you.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl