Thread: Question regarding feeding tegu

Question Question regarding feeding tegu

Hey.

So my first question is this the type of ground turkey you are suppose to feed?
    http://tinyurl.com/4827mna

Also how do i go about packing away the ground turkey? I read you should boil it first in order to kill in parasites and what not,so boil it? Do i add the cod liver oil before hand.

Are the egg yolks healthier than the whites? I plan on just boiling the eggs and feeding them ounce a week.

Lastly whats a good feeding schedule for a Arg.baby tegu with supplementation included.

Thanks.

I buy lean ground turkey or chicken from my grocery store. I roll out little meat balls and place them on a cookie sheet, freeze, then baggie them and place them in the freezer for easy meal prep.
    Don't boil it the meat first, they are made to eat raw. They have stomachs of steal and are not meant to digest cooked foods. I buy chicken hearts and gizards from the grocery store, frozen rodents, frozen day old chicks, fresh salmon and shrimp is good too but not too often as it may cause runny stools. Eggs I only give once in a while as it too causes some runny stool and my guys don't really like it much anyways. If you can get roaches then do, thats a great staple while they are young. Try offering fruits with each meal, my guy first started eating red grapes and now he'll eat grapes, mango, banana as a treat, black berries, raspberries, cantalope (fav), and other melons. He will also eat shedded greens mixed in with his turkey but when he was younger he wouldn't touch that.
    I feed everyday. My male is 10 months but @40" in length I have slowed down on feeding. I offer meat based foods every other day and alternate between a rodent and some chicken hearts one day, and ground turkey with greens the next meat day. On off days I offer a plate of fruit with chopped greens. I usually give some type of fruit each day. I supplement every non whole prey food item with calcium supplement and once a week I'll offer a vit supplement and calcium with D3.
    As they reach the 1 year mark I believe you feed a few times a week depending on their size and appetite.
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada
    1.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dezie)
    0.1.0 Argenitne Red Tegu (rehome)
    1.0.1 Fat-Tailed Gecko (Holly and Chugington)
    1.0.0 Brittish Bulldog (Bently)
    1.0.0 Cockerpug (Ryder) Perfect name as he "rides" everything!
    0.2.0 Children (Cadence 5, Jordan 2)
    Large Saltwater tank that contains Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Foxface, 4 Gobeys, firefish, a couple shrimps, and a grumpy Brittle Star that eats fish while they sleep!

Thanks,but how should i go about mixing cod liver oil to The food and how much should i supplement with d3 and with out?

If you supplement with cod liver oil, I've been advised by a vet to not use more than a couple drops a week, literally 1 milliliter per serving. I'd mash a drop into a wad of thawed ground turkey once you bring it back to room temp. Excess vitamin A & D (which cod liver oil has in very high concentrations) accumulates in fat instead of getting peed out. Too much in the system can cause kidney and liver problems, plus too much cod liver oil may result in gut motility too rapid for proper nutrient absorption.

As long as you're feeding ground meet and egg, best to work in as much variety as possible and use these foods to smear on less readily accepted fruits until they get used to it.

I put reptile multivitamins on whole prey items, which I feed a couple times a week to my adult. I sprinkle calcium+D4 on fruits & veg fed daily with occasional whole, hard boiled quail egg (shell included). The whole prey also gets a drop of cod liver down its dead throat. The reason I don't worry about the daily D4 powder is that he often leaves his food untouched or just picks out his favorites, plus I think the stuff breaks down a bit after it's been sitting on wet fruit all day. I believe a lack of vitamins from a range of foods is a bigger threat than D4 overdose from powder for my boy.

Here is a care sheet for you to check out. If you want to instead of using the cod liver oil you can get some fresh fish filets ( like cat fish, cod, tuna, salmon or tilapia ) from your local super market. Cut it up in small pieces and put it in a glass of hot tap water ( not boiling water ). This will warm up the fish. You can do the same thing with the chicken/turrkey breast, chicken hearts/gizzards. All foods should be fed raw for except the eggs. I would hard boil them, cut them in small pieces, let it cool down and then feed it to your Tegu. I give my Tegus the lean ground turkey. If you want to feed some rodents you can bulk order them. It comes out alot cheaper then having to drive to the pet store and pay alot more for them. Hope this helps. Oh one more thing. I always food save my left over ground turkey or other meats. I don't use the zip lock bags. I found out that I get alot of freezer burn with that. Maybe you can put it in two bags.

Care sheet:

http://www.thetegu.com/showthread.ph...Tegu-Caresheet

Bulk order for rodents:

http://www.rodentpro.com/

Info on how to thaw out the rodents:

http://www.rodentpro.com/qpage_articles_01.asp

Video on the products from Rodentpro.com:

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl#p/u/3/FKhcqfsUNRA
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Everyone does it differently, lol. I usually don't need to freeze turkey because I have three adults. And I don't use cod liver oil.

But to answer your question, that type of turkey is fine. Any brand or form of lean ground turkey, chicken, beef will work. Turkey and chicken or the most popular. It's not really parasites but bacteria that people would worry about when feeding raw. But boiling also denatures protein, so most people feed raw. I open the package of ground turkey and divide it into the proper sections. For example, if I get a 3 pound package, then I might divide it into 3 sections. I don't boil it or add anything to it at that point. I prep it by wrapping it in foil or placing it in a freezer baggy and removing as much air as possible. Then I place it in the freezer. Once defrosted, I add supplements right before feeding.

I feed eggs in different ways. Sometimes I boil or scramble or feed raw. I don't feed eggs that often, so I'm not worried about nutritional issues. The whites are high in protein but also have an enzyme that binds with biotin, a B vitamin. The only way to denature avidin is to boil over 4 min. Of course, that also dentaures other proteins in the food. I just supplement with multivitamins. The yolk contains some protein, fat and cholesterol for hormone building, minerals, and vitamins including A and D. So both parts have good qualities.

I use calcium and d3 powder every time I feed ground turkey because it does not contain bones. I would think if you were using cod liver oil, you would cut back on the d3, but I am not familiar with that type of schedule. However, anything that is not a whole food that contains bones needs to be supplemented with calcium.

I feed babies daily or at least 6 days until 2 years of age. Once they are yearlings, even 5 days a week is OK. The diet for my little guy (7 months) is like this:

Mon F/T 2 small (hopper/weanling) mice plus fruit
    Tues ground turkey plus fruit calcium/vit supplement
    Wed F/T 2 small mice plus fruit
    Fri ground turkey plus fruit calcium/vit supplement
    Sat F/T 2 small mice plus fruit
    Sun varies: insects, beef, chicken, fish, eggs, fruit, calc/vit supplement

This isn't an exact diet, but just an idea of a schedule I use.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I'd just like to add about raw eggs that egg yolks are very rich in vitamin B(12 and 6).

I forgot to mention that if you are worried about the fish having to much mercury in it you always can use some flax seeds or the flax seed oil with the ground turkey.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I never thought to use flax in place of cod liver oil! Both my tegus hate cod liver oil and refuse to eat anything with even a drop on it! I would recommend using ground flax rather then whole seeds as the "shell" of the seed is nearly impossible to digest....if you eat a sead it will usually come out whole. I grind the seeds with my magic bullet and keep it in my freezer.
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada
    1.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dezie)
    0.1.0 Argenitne Red Tegu (rehome)
    1.0.1 Fat-Tailed Gecko (Holly and Chugington)
    1.0.0 Brittish Bulldog (Bently)
    1.0.0 Cockerpug (Ryder) Perfect name as he "rides" everything!
    0.2.0 Children (Cadence 5, Jordan 2)
    Large Saltwater tank that contains Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Foxface, 4 Gobeys, firefish, a couple shrimps, and a grumpy Brittle Star that eats fish while they sleep!

Default Hullo!!!

So I pop in and out, but I'm having trouble with a picky eater and thought I'd pop in.

I'd like to say I follow LauraFL and TXrepgirl pretty close and they are both usually dead on

I like Laura's method with the eggs, particularly because of what I know of proteins. I do everything from a light boil to raw mix with turkey to scrambled (not ketchup or pepper of course!!!)

My guy goes nuts for fish so I buy whatever I can when its on sale and freeze it using warm water to defrost; catfish, tilapia, shrimp, salmon (when the money is flowing). Otherwise turkey, crawlers, precocial chicks (still have raw yolk), rarely beef, Chicken breasts or Giblets, Various fruits (that's where he gets picky), loves blackberries and blueberries (sometimes mango and papaya when I'm lucky), not much luck with greeds.

When I supplement I actually just buy the 1000mg soft gels and he will eat them right off the plate. Its not as efficient, but sometimes I'll open a mouse or a chick and slide it in the gut cavity and he takes it down no prob! Otherwise for powders I buy Baby food or turkey and mix rept-aid or D3 powder in and he goes nuts!!! I very rarely do though.
    Kelvin

Arg. B&W ~Tegasaurus Rex~
    2 Green Tree Frogs
    3 Anoles
    Snapper Wahmenitu
    Albino Cornsnake Nathan Scott Phillips II
    Black Pepper Roach Colony
    Seemingly a Billion Mollies
    Tropical Fish Tank

Check me out @
    http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser...f-bf7a65a934e9