Thread: Hello all...joining you from Brazil!

Default Hello all...joining you from Brazil!

Hi everyone! I decided to join after we adopted a baby tegu here on our farm. I am assuming he is an Argentine Black and White. We have had numerous adults all over the place, but this was the first juvenile we have seen. Our dogs were following him (or her) around, so we took him inside before they decided to "play". {Unfortunately, one time one of our dogs (Patches) came home with a 2 foot long tail in his mouth, very pleased with himself. I went out and found a large adult stuck head first in the fence (sans tail) and released him. I have seen him since; the tail is coming in slowly.} This juvenile was quite tame immediately, is not afraid of the dogs (we let them smell when we hold him but not touch), and just wants to be held. He is in a temporary home until I can build him an outdoor terrarium but he doesn't mind yet (has plenty of room). I would like more advice on feeding him from experienced handlers. The first few days he ate some papaya and pineapple, but did not like grapes, mango, guava, etc. He loves raw chicken, especially the liver, and boiled eggs (we have free range chickens, ie. fertilized eggs). Now he won't eat any fruits or veggies, and just wants the meat and eggs. I have read that this could cause him to get fatty deposits on his liver. He also is not interested in crickets, grubs or other insects. Is there any harm in letting him eat mostly raw chicken, liver, and eggs if that is all he wants?
    Thanks for the info!
    Eric

Ola! Tudo bem? Bienvenido to the forum. There isn't "harm" in letting the tegu eat mostly raw chicken and liver, except that as a meat base, they are low in calcium. Chicken necks are a good source of calcium, but if you're just feeding meat, you need to always supplement the meat with vitamin and mineral powder.
    Where along the Mata Atlantica are you living?

HI BrazilTegu, Welcome !

It is as tupinambis wrote above.

We're glad to have you with us. Do you get the chance to take pics of the 'wild' Tegus there ?

That's great, that you took the Tegu in ... If you need help with anything else, just ask.
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

Welcome to the forum!
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll have a lot of info to share with us and I hope we can help you with some things as well.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Hi Eric. Welcome to our Tegu forum family and congrats on your new wild caught but very tame Tegu . Wow, you are so lucky that he is so tame since he came from the wild. I'm very happy to hear that the other Tegu is doing well. Do you have a name for him/her yet ? We would love to see some pictures of him/her ( if you can ). Here is some info for you ( caresheet ). You also can try to feed some fresh ( warmed up in some warm tap water ) cut up fish filets like salmon, tuna, cod, catfhish, tilapia .... The eggs should be just for a treat ( one or twice a week ). Do you have a store where you can get some frozen rodents like mice or rats ? You can thaw them out and feed it to him/her. It would be very good in calcium because of the bones. I'm so excited for you . Do you ever see any other colored Tegus like reds blues ?

http://www.thetegu.com/showthread.ph...Tegu-Caresheet

http://www.rodentpro.com/qpage_articles_01.asp
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Welcome! Hope you can post pictures of your tegu and others from the wild!

If you keep offering fruit each time you feed the tegu, it will eventually start eating it. In addition to the vitamins, the moisture and fiber in the fruit will help your tegu.