Thread: Tegu smell

Default Tegu smell

Hey guy's got another question do tegu's smell my beardie really doesn't even when she poops but I clean her cage everyday.... If they do smell is it easy to cover..... I live in an apartment so and mine will be in my living room area....
    Hebrews 11:1-Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Tegus themselves don't usually smell, but their pottying does, quite badly. You'll want to clean that up right away anyhow, just to keep the cage healthier.

The only times our boy stinks are if he wets his bed and sleeps in it all night or if he is within a few days of shedding. In both cases, you have to have the little booger right in your arms to smell it; it won't be detectable in your living room.

Sometimes they get smeely gunk in the corners of their mouths. I bathe mine and Q tip the mouth corners.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Quote Originally Posted by laurarfl View Post
    Sometimes they get smeely gunk in the corners of their mouths. I bathe mine and Q tip the mouth corners.
    Around what age does this start happening and how often,i never read about that,sounds eww.

Sorry to thread jack a bit but i too am wondering the same thing as the OP.
    My reptile buddies,
    0.0.1 B&W Argentine Tegu (Renji)
    0.0.1 Savannah Monitor (Gaara)
    0.1.2 Bearded dragon (Itachi,Hige and Tsume)
    0.0.2 Leopard Gecko (Pein & Sesshomaru )
    1.1.2 Curly tailed lizards
    0.0.1 Calotes lizard (Lefty)
    0.1.0 Burmese python (Rukia)
    0.1.0 Colombian red tail boa
    1.1.0 Het clown BP (Beauty and Sage)
    0.1.0 Coastal x Jungle Carpet python

A couple times Hernando had a wad of shed skin stuck in what would be his cheek if he had cheeks, or between his gum and skin. It got all rotty and foul and I scooped it out with my little finger. If a lizard could look relieved and grateful, that would describe him. His breath stink cleared up within a day. Not sure if this is the same thing laurarfl describes.

That's it, just skin or mulch dust or whatever. I have one female that just gets slobber or whatever stuck in the corners. We thought it was her ears that smelled when we first got her until we found the lip junk. ewww I had her out yesterday and her lips were smelly again. My red male has a huge mouth and he gets it, too, sometimes. My other female doesn't have an issue. Maybe it depends on how close you get to your tegus. My family also tells me that I have a bionic sense of smell, hahaha.

The only smell other than that is poo. Like HM said, if you clean it right away, it's not a problem.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Quote Originally Posted by laurarfl View Post
    That's it, just skin or mulch dust or whatever. I have one female that just gets slobber or whatever stuck in the corners. We thought it was her ears that smelled when we first got her until we found the lip junk. ewww I had her out yesterday and her lips were smelly again. My red male has a huge mouth and he gets it, too, sometimes. My other female doesn't have an issue. Maybe it depends on how close you get to your tegus. My family also tells me that I have a bionic sense of smell, hahaha.

The only smell other than that is poo. Like HM said, if you clean it right away, it's not a problem.
    Great info,something i hope to not have to deal with to much lol. Thank you for explaining that.
    Last edited by Strange_Evil; 03-27-2011 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Spelling sucks
    My reptile buddies,
    0.0.1 B&W Argentine Tegu (Renji)
    0.0.1 Savannah Monitor (Gaara)
    0.1.2 Bearded dragon (Itachi,Hige and Tsume)
    0.0.2 Leopard Gecko (Pein & Sesshomaru )
    1.1.2 Curly tailed lizards
    0.0.1 Calotes lizard (Lefty)
    0.1.0 Burmese python (Rukia)
    0.1.0 Colombian red tail boa
    1.1.0 Het clown BP (Beauty and Sage)
    0.1.0 Coastal x Jungle Carpet python

That for the replys ...
    Hebrews 11:1-Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.