Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savannah Monitor Help?

Default Savannah Monitor Help?

So, we brought home a hatchling Savannah Monitor (we are talking 4.5 inches long). It's eating and looks great...so fingers crossed it will do well. Who here has actual experience with keeping a Sav? Can you please give me some pointers?
    I have a Columbian Tegu and he is doing great, eating well, shedding well, very easy to handle and loves to explore. I know Savannahs are totally diferent from T's so if anyone has info I might need, please fill my brain with your knowledge!!!!
    Last edited by LDarden; 03-27-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Savannah monitor are generally a well behaved monitor. They aren't as curious as tegu, they are pretty shy.
    They need a pretty big cage too, just like tegus, they will need at least a 6x3x2feet enclosure.
    As for feeding, they are carnivorius and might eat anything that can fit in their mouth. Cricket, mealworm, superworm, butterworm, dubia roaches, locust, fish filet, rodent, organs, eggs and meat.
    They are known for becoming extremely obese due of their very lazy and inactive behavior in captivity. Make sure to monitor the food quatity to reduce the possibility to have a fat savy.
    Just like most monitor, UVA/UVB lamp isn't a necessity.
    They need a pretty high basking spot, I recommand a ''variant'' basking spot, where the highest temp can be 140F. (surface temperature)

For a good source of information, you can read those book
    -Monitor and tegus (complete Pet owner's Manual) by R.D. Bartlett and Patricia P.Bartlett (2006)
    -The savannah monitor lizard : the truth about Varanus Exanthematicus by Daniel Bennett and Ravi Thakoordyal (2003)
    -General Care and Maintenance of popular monitors and Tegus by Michael Balsai (1997)

Good luck
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

Ok, so as far as lighting...I have a 50 watt spot/uva/basking bulb on his tank right now...will this work for a bit or should I use something else?
    He is very tiny, and in a small 8 gallon glass tank with the mesh locking screen. He looks TINY in this tank so I have no problems keeping him in ther for a couple of weeks.
    Substrate? I have wood bark chips from the pet store, same as what I use in the Tegu's tank in there right now. He has a hide, a water bowl that he can drink/soak in. The cage is about 95 degrees right now on the hot side, about 80 on the cool side. (remember, it's a small glass tank) I put some small crickets in there for him and he ate a few. Do they like to climb? Should I put some branches in there for him?

Oh, and I plan on going to the book store tomorrow to see if I can find (or order) General Care and Maintenance of popular monitors and Tegus by Michael Balsai...Seems the guy is pretty highly reccomended.

Savannahmonitor.org

The heating lamp might be okay. But I believe that once your Savannah monitor will be a adult, a bigger lamp would be better. I had used Halogen floodlight lamp for all my reptile for many years. It's cheaper, tougher, and consume less energy for a better work than ''reptile lamp'' you found in petstore.

As for substrate, you can use dirt, coconut fiber or mix of soil/sand. You could put some branches for him to climb, but they are more terrestrial than aboreal.

Yes, Michael balsai's book is pretty good, but it's not surprising that you can't find it, it's a pretty old book. But I think that the most important one is the book written by Daniel Bennett.
    good luck.
    Ben

Congrats on the new sav! I don't have a Savannah but I do think they are beautiful and one day would love to get one. Please post some pics as I love how cute they are when they are small.
    @Ben, I am curious to know why UV isn't needed for monitors like it is for Tegus?? I always thought nocturnal animals were the exceptions? I am not disagreeing but I am very curious.
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada
    1.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dezie)
    0.1.0 Argenitne Red Tegu (rehome)
    1.0.1 Fat-Tailed Gecko (Holly and Chugington)
    1.0.0 Brittish Bulldog (Bently)
    1.0.0 Cockerpug (Ryder) Perfect name as he "rides" everything!
    0.2.0 Children (Cadence 5, Jordan 2)
    Large Saltwater tank that contains Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Foxface, 4 Gobeys, firefish, a couple shrimps, and a grumpy Brittle Star that eats fish while they sleep!

Well If I remember correctly, they absorb or synthetize (don't remember exactly) the good necessary amount of vitamin d3 in their food.
    Also, it's not because the animal is diurnal that it needs UVA/UVB light. In fact, some snake are diurnal and they don't need UVA/UVB light to be healthy.

Of course, putting a UVA/UVB light in the Monitor cage won't hurt and might get some benefit of it, but still, it's not a necessity.
    Ben

Thanks Ben, thats good to know!
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada
    1.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dezie)
    0.1.0 Argenitne Red Tegu (rehome)
    1.0.1 Fat-Tailed Gecko (Holly and Chugington)
    1.0.0 Brittish Bulldog (Bently)
    1.0.0 Cockerpug (Ryder) Perfect name as he "rides" everything!
    0.2.0 Children (Cadence 5, Jordan 2)
    Large Saltwater tank that contains Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Foxface, 4 Gobeys, firefish, a couple shrimps, and a grumpy Brittle Star that eats fish while they sleep!

no problem
    Ben