Thread: Where to put the water dish

Arrow Where to put the water dish

So my boyfriend and I got into it today over where to put the water dish. I say because Jabba's more likely to lay in it and to keep up the humidity to keep it on the hot side. He said because he'll go to the water when he wants to cool off to keep it on the cool side . He says he's found threads here saying to do so but I can't find any.

So my question for all of you is where do you keep your water dishes in your tank, why, and how does it work for you?
    Money is NOT the root of all evil, LOVE OF MONEY is. Far too many people get that mixed up.

1.1.0 Blue Tegu - Jabba, Jasmine

My vote is the hot side, for the reasons you mentioned.

If a cold-blooded animal wants to cool down, it's not like us wanting to take a dip on a hot day. They seek a cooler spot when their body tells them its time to go into a different metabolic state. Being cold slows down their voluntary muscles and makes them groggy, so a normal tegu will seek out a hiding place where they are covered and less vulnerable when it's time to sleep. Also, you'll notice that they actually seek out little nooks and beds that will provide some insulation and hold their heat in as long as possible. If anyone else has more information on this to correct me, I'd be interested in hearing it.

We have a water bowl in a cool corner and a bigger pond under a heat lamp. I've noticed Hernando prefers to drink out of the warmer water -- it probably feels great going down.

I agree completely with HM. Everything she mentioned I've read from multiple sources, stating the same thing. If the two of you continue to have a... disagreement (The Boyfriend and I are famous for it)... then I suggest a compromise of placing a water dish at BOTH the hot and cool ends (though I'd put the bigger one at the hot end). Not only will you look big for suggesting the compromise... but when your tegu only drinks from the cool water, and soaks/drinks from the warm water, well... you'll get the satisfaction of saying, "I told you so."
    Last edited by nordica; 03-29-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

I agree with the ladies here, I keep mine on the hot side but kinda off to the side of the basking but I have read that some will put it diercetly under the hot light. The water gets very cool if kept on the cool side. They can cool down fine as long as a gradient is offered and a hide on the cool side also.
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada
    1.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dezie)
    0.1.0 Argenitne Red Tegu (rehome)
    1.0.1 Fat-Tailed Gecko (Holly and Chugington)
    1.0.0 Brittish Bulldog (Bently)
    1.0.0 Cockerpug (Ryder) Perfect name as he "rides" everything!
    0.2.0 Children (Cadence 5, Jordan 2)
    Large Saltwater tank that contains Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Foxface, 4 Gobeys, firefish, a couple shrimps, and a grumpy Brittle Star that eats fish while they sleep!

I love the way you guys think! When he gets back today I'll let him know about the compromise idea. I forgot to bring up that in the other tank with Jasmine I have her water dish next to her rock with the heat lamp right above and now she actually drinks out of it and crawls through it. Anyway, it's kind of a moot point since Jabba is still hibernating, though its been about 7 months now and we are way more than ready for him to wake up, I just wanted this to be over before he wakes up.
    Money is NOT the root of all evil, LOVE OF MONEY is. Far too many people get that mixed up.

1.1.0 Blue Tegu - Jabba, Jasmine