Thread: Herbivorous/Omnivora/Carnivorous

Question Herbivorous/Omnivora/Carnivorous

Well, "Poop research" LOL

Which "Poop" is the most stinky between herbivorous(plant-eating), omnivorous feeder and carnivorous(flesh-eating)you think?

herbivorous eaters
    eg: Chuckwalla, Iguana, Uro, tortoise, rabbit, and sometimes human etc (some animals eat meat, insects as well sometimes)

Omnivorous eaters
    eg: Tegu, Skinks, human, dogs(?) etc

Carnivorous
    eg: Monitors, crocs, snakes, turtles, cats etc

I keep 3types of animals (Uro/Red tegu/roughneck monitor) and
    Tegu's poop is stink, but smell like human's poop(I feel)
    and my black roughneck monitor produces so disgustingly smelly poop! lol

The herbivorous animal in dried area produce dry poop and it's not so bad odor
    But Veg-eater, Iguana's poop is smelly
    BTW, leopard gecko is small animals, but their poop is so stinky for me!

I don't keep a dog, but cats and cat's poop is yes stinky, but the healthy poop is not so bad

"Tell me what you eat , and I will tell you what you are." by Brillat-Savarin

:lol:
    Last edited by Godspeed; 04-01-2011 at 07:00 AM.

When dogs, cats, or ferrets are fed a natural species appropriate diet (Raw meat, bones, organs, skin, fur, with little plant matter etc) then their feces do not smell at all. When my dogs, cats and ferrets are fed raw, fresh food their poop doesn't smell but once they're back on "pet food" from the pet store, the smell comes back.

My bearded dragons' poop is rather smelly when they're fed commercial or premade diets. When they're fed natural, fresh foods their feces don't smell as much. Leopard Gecko poop smells like bad breath though. lol

I think the worst is cat poop when they eat commercial "Cat Food" though.
    Last edited by LittleWiseOwl; 04-01-2011 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Additional information

I don't think ig poop smells bad. Corn snake poop smells. Tegu poop smells. Crested gecko poop smells god awful!!!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I agree with you
    Gecko species poop are so bad smell
    Why they produce such disgusting smell of poop?lol

Quote Originally Posted by laurarfl View Post
    I don't think ig poop smells bad. Corn snake poop smells. Tegu poop smells. Crested gecko poop smells god awful!!!

I wonder if it is fermentation? Geckos eat a lot of fruit and commercial diets have a lot of grain. Maybe it is bacteria and a fermentation process.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I'm so glad you've given me the opportunity to discuss reptile poop:
    DSCN0238..jpg

In the foreground of this picture is a fresh poop from a giant tortoise we came across in a meadow on the Galapagos island of Santa Cruz. It was grazing in some thick grass like a cow, only completely wild, eating its natural food. HernandosPapa's size 10 1/2 foot is there to show scale -- it was one big poop! The thing that I found amazing was that there was virtually no smell. If you can imagine coming across a cow pie or droppings from any mammalian ungulate, it would stink, right?

You could see this tortoise munching along like any grazer, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t8qkg2Du4Y
    but his digestive system works quite differently.

In a cow, for example, there's 7 stomachs and a line of intestine to carry out digestion. Consumed grasses are exposed to a number of different digestive juices, plus intestinal flora and fauna, resulting in a form of fermentation and anaerobic breakdown. The anaerobics, I think, are where most of the stink comes from. Compare it to your compost bin in the back yard. The really reeking stuff is hard core rot that takes a while to build up. If you turn it all the time so everything gets oxygenated, the smell is not bad at all.

The giant tortoise has the same habitat niche on the island as ungulates have elsewhere on the planat, eat the same food, but their digestive system is primitive and minimal, so they pull out the energy they need and move it on without having to carry around a lot of old food in their belly. They might spend a similar amount of energy eating the food, but much less in digesting it. You kinda want to ask that cow, 7 stomachs? Why go through all the trouble?

I have to admit, I'm a little fascinated with poop after getting into reptiles. As soon as I have some disposable income, I'll be buying the microscope I've had my eye on so I can start doing my own fecal floats...

... well, and I really just like looking at gross things up close.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

Somehow I understand what you say lol
    It's not Art, but something special
    Solid and gross poop is beautiful and smell good,even mine LOLOL

I like Royal python's poppy-like poop anyway

Soft poop is usually smelly and looks un-healthy, and I worry about the animal's health really
    Beautiful poop is evidence of being healthy for all creatures!!! and it's very very important!

Quote Originally Posted by nordica View Post
    I have to admit, I'm a little fascinated with poop after getting into reptiles. As soon as I have some disposable income, I'll be buying the microscope I've had my eye on so I can start doing my own fecal floats...

... well, and I really just like looking at gross things up close.

With all the reptile I had work with, the burmese python has the worst poop odor.
    As for food, I can't really agree, I have two tortoise, one Hermann and one redfoot, both of them are fed exclusively tortoise mazuri.
    My hermann poop doesn't smell at all, while the one of my redfoot smell pretty horrible lol.
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !