Thread: 3-Year Old Female Tegu - Newly Acquired

Default 3-Year Old Female Tegu - Newly Acquired

Well, I am trying to load pictures on here to make sure I do it right. My new little girl "Lizzy", came with a 6 foot long aquarium with no hides. I gave her this "log" i had but still too small. I am building a wooden enclosure 72 inches (6 ft) x 31 1/2 inches wide x 36 inches tall.

Anyway, here are pictures of her roaming in my bedroom.

As you can see, she is not a baby to start with. Just about full size I think. Lots of info here to babies. I try to adapt info to adult.
    Attached Images Attached Images

She looks nice and healthy ,,,,good luck with her.

Congrats on the tegu! She is a nice looking female! Very cute to see her sleeping in her log hide, definately too small but you already know that
    Have you already started builiding the enclosure? If those are the measurements you have to work with then I would go with 31.5 as the height and 36 or more for the width. Be sure to seal your wood well with some sort of waterproof sealant (most use Drylok), if you can avoid a screen top and instead add a couple small vents on the side to also aid in humidity.
    Be sure your room is tegu safe! They are famous for getting into stuff they shouldn't! My guy actually pulled the furnace vent right up from the floor and I caught him just before he got too far for me to grab! We would have had to tear down the duct work in the house to get him and he would likely have gotten very hurt from protuding tin nails inside the vents. They are rather strong and can knock some surprisingly heavy heavy things over. Free roaming is great for the tegu though to keep active as they tend to be very lazy (bored) if left in the enclosure more often then not.
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada
    1.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dezie)
    0.1.0 Argenitne Red Tegu (rehome)
    1.0.1 Fat-Tailed Gecko (Holly and Chugington)
    1.0.0 Brittish Bulldog (Bently)
    1.0.0 Cockerpug (Ryder) Perfect name as he "rides" everything!
    0.2.0 Children (Cadence 5, Jordan 2)
    Large Saltwater tank that contains Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Foxface, 4 Gobeys, firefish, a couple shrimps, and a grumpy Brittle Star that eats fish while they sleep!

Nessie:
    Thank you for looking at my pictures. I had let her roam around my bedroom today and tried geting a couple of pictures. The measurements I have for the new cage is to make sure it can fit out the door if I have to move. I have abit more height as I want to put in a shelf for her and room below for more than a couple of hides and water dish.

Usually when she sees me coming to her tank and I lower my hand/arm in slowly, I let her smell me, pat her head, neck and back area and she accepts this. I pick her up and she wiggles a little until I get her against my shoulder. I let her wonder around, heat up under the heat lamp, wonder around more, heat up ... Sometimes she would dart away when I approached her and other times she would let me pat her. Today, she was fidgety after I picked her up as she was starting to fall asleep. She did calm down but.... Boy, did she ever start to fight when I was approaching her aquarium and tried to put her in. Her body temperature was very warm. I really think and believe she did not want to be put into the aquarium and put up the fuss and twisting. She twisted and fought back but did not open her mouth to bite and she could have gotten me good a couple of times. After I put her into the aquarium, I took her water dish, washed it and returned it to her tank. I put my hand/arm down near her to see if she would accept it. She flicked her tongue smelling my hand and allowed me to pat her head, neck and down her back. She closed her eyes so I knew she accepted me. Do you think I am mis-reading her? You are a respected member so you would know better than me.

Yeah that sounds great. My tegu loves me but plays shy with my hubby. He is 40" (the tegu not the hubby lol)and stuffs his head in my armpit when others are around. It is great that she is bonding with you so well already. They are pretty bright lizards and they do catch on well. When my Dezie was younger and before I had a chance to tegu proof a whole room I used the bathrrom for free roaming. To go back to his enclosure I had toi go down to my foyer before getting to my basement and every single day, once we got to the foyer he would start to death roll and I know it was cause he did not want to go back into the tank. The more interaction the better. Just keep doing what you are doing, oh and he is only wiggling whenyou get him out because he doesn't feel secure, my guy does the same thing. When I get mine out of the tank I quickly put him up onto my chest and hold him as if I am going to burp him like a baby, he is the calmest like that.
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada
    1.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dezie)
    0.1.0 Argenitne Red Tegu (rehome)
    1.0.1 Fat-Tailed Gecko (Holly and Chugington)
    1.0.0 Brittish Bulldog (Bently)
    1.0.0 Cockerpug (Ryder) Perfect name as he "rides" everything!
    0.2.0 Children (Cadence 5, Jordan 2)
    Large Saltwater tank that contains Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Foxface, 4 Gobeys, firefish, a couple shrimps, and a grumpy Brittle Star that eats fish while they sleep!