Thread: Breeding Crix

Default Breeding Crix

I recently purchased 500 crickets from a reptile show, and they're still going strong.. I've had very very few casualties. I have an argentine tegu and two adult beardies.. I was wondering if you guys could tell me the best way to go about breeding them..

I understand that if you provide a container of moist black dirt in with them then nature takes it's course and the females will lay the eggs but the trick is to keep the soil moist but not too wet. I have tried this and it worked but keeping up on misting sometimes failed and I would loose some but don't worry they come back and always lay more eggs for trying again until you get it right I will caution you to have a tight sealed container as the babies are very very small and can get out easily and they seem to have the ability to climb the walls very well. so it's very simple really and for food the have had no trouble with eating what I provide for the adults. good luck

so all I have to do is keep the soil moist? sounds too good to be true... How fast do they grow? And how many eggs will a female lay? Do the adults ever cannibalize the babies? Am I over-analysing too much? lol

just keep the soil moist and before you know it (I think it was about 3-4 weeks) you will start to see these little "bugs" but have a good look and they are your little ones they will continue to just keep turning over for you as mothers lay eggs all the time so you could have "hatchlings" every day as long as they have some where to lay the eggs. Having 500 crickets you will soon be over run. and the are very quick to grow I'm sure you must have seen crickets for sale at even 2 weeks old they are still pretty big and when you think they are adult at 4-5 weeks it a very rapid growth. just a tip always look under your trays for the new little ones they like to hide. I don't know if this is to hide from others but I have never removed mine,just left them in with the adults and they just seem to scurry around like the rest, mostly getting run over.expect to potentially lose some of the babies, ie in the water gel etc. some people take better control and will remove the female to the soil in a seperate tank to lay and later remove the females in order to seperate the crickets by age. hope it helps...I did it for a while but found that the wet soil was just a little more smell to the cricket cage and that babies were getting out and also I couldn't grow them fast enough as all my lizards are eating adults size so it was easier to buy them that way because I go through about 500 crickets in 1-2 weeks.

What I do is put 500-600 adult crickets in a rubbermaid tub (about 20 gallons), with plenty of food (fresh greens and some sorts of protein), and water gel (you can get it from premiumcrickets.com). Keep them warm. Place a container with moist soil, vermiculite, or sand...or mix it (like me). Leave it in for about a week then move the container to a new enclosure (I just use bowls to let the crickets lay their eggs in, so I just put the bowl in a ten gallon tank). Keep a heat pad/heat tape on the bottom of the tank and keep them VERY warm. Mist it to keep it humid (or if you have one of those plastic lids that flip open, it will pretty much stay humid in there with no problems). Wait about a week or two and BANG! Lots of TINY bugs crawling around. Feed them the same stuff you give the adults, and keep them humid and WARM. And they grow fast. Good luck!
    1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Damien and Miss Priss)
    0.1.0 Crested Geckos (Priscilla)
    2.6.0 Leopard Gecko (Tonka, Rhaco, Hermine, Talia, Kalypso, Serendipity, Faith, and Sprinkles)
    0.0.1 Henkeli Leaf Tail (Houdini)
    0.1.0 Chacoan Black and White Tegu on her w