Thread: Enclosure plans

Default Enclosure plans

I thought I might share some cage plans I've come up with, and modeled in Google SketchUp

Tegu Enclosure design 1 - the top was left open on this one- I can't remember why, but planning a top shouldn't be too hard. The many windows on this one make it a good candidate for an outdoor enclosure, despite what I said in the description.

Tegu Enclosure design 2
    Another open-top design. Design your own top. This is similar to the previous design, however there are less windows, which makes it suitable for going against a wall indoors. It would be a nice livingroom enclosure. Ignore any frivolous bits in the designs.

Tegu Enclosure 3
    This one is designed to be much more practical. The windows are minimal, the doors are more standard, and it isn't designed to be a walk-in enclosure. This is the design I think I'll be using for my tegu in the next few months. It's large, but uses space well, and has a lot of potential for building structures within the cage for climbing/basking/hides.

Hopefully these help someone!

Wow, those are incredible sketches!! The *only* thing I see that would need to be addressed though is the height... tegus are terrestrial reptiles, and therefor don't need an enclosure that is THAT tall. Because they aren't going to climb on top of basking branches or the like to "get to" their basking lights, the lights would need to be brought down to them, effectively rendering all that awesome ceiling space as unnecessary. Unless you just wanted to decorate all that space up there for the sake of decorating it.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

There are a couple reasons I'm going for heigh as well as overall size- Tegus are terrestrial, but I've noticed they do like climbing on rock outcrops, logs, and pretty much anything that is solid enough that they feel safe. I want to maximize the amount of overall space there is to roam and explore. Mine is always climing all over the large pieces of mopani wood I have in his current cage. The depth of the cage allows for building up with substrate, logs, rocks, and makes it possible to have a pond. I'd be using Megaray bulbs, which still work well and project a good amount of UV at longer distances, so the lights being high up (as long as they aren't more than 5ft away) isn't a problem. I've seen some other incredible Tegu enclosoures that utilize height as well, and #3 is actually based somewhat on combining those with my previous ideas. If you use the Megaray bulbs, instead of the Powersun or others, the enclosure will get plenty of UV and with the height, there's a lot more you can do with plants, rock outcropings, and building hides. I think it would add a bit more enrichment for them.

Thanks for the clarification, it sounds like it's gonna be amazing! I would love to use MegaRays, but I've had a MASSIVE problem with the company since August of last year... they owe me money for TWO bulbs... that, and they were having some serious problems with their product, and haven't *quite* rectified the situation yet.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

Quote Originally Posted by nordica View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, it sounds like it's gonna be amazing! I would love to use MegaRays, but I've had a MASSIVE problem with the company since August of last year... they owe me money for TWO bulbs... that, and they were having some serious problems with their product, and haven't *quite* rectified the situation yet.
    They owe you money? Goodness. Have you tried calling them? I know that I wanted to buy from them around July or August last year, and they were having some issues..A few weeks later I called them wondering where my bulb was, and they got ahold me and gave me a refund. I actually hadn't looked into them since then, mainly because I don't have anything bigger than a 6x2x2 right now, and the Powersuns work fine for it. Thanks for letting me know they don't really have products working right now. I'd suggest trying to get ahold of them to get your money back. They seemed like pretty reasonable people.

Love the inclosures! The 2nd one is my favorite, only thing I would do is change the back to meet at a 90 degree angle so it could fit snug in a corner. My Tegu likes to climb as well, our new cage for him is going to include "shelves" for him to climb...with basking areas on the top.
    Thanks for sharing!!!

I've tried getting ahold of them numerous times... to no avail. I'm about to leave them one last message threatening to call the BBB on them if I don't get my money back.

I read something about how they were having some server problems which caused them to loose messages. They may have lost your message :( Either way, I hope you get your money back! Or at least the bulbs you ordered.

wow amazing. I want to do one like the second but make the top half a separate enclosure for other reps. I need to get bigger enclosure now for my 1 year old B/W ASAP!. only problem is I cant do something this fancy until i get a house unless i can think of a design that can come apart for transport.