Thread: Sky, Rick's Blue Tegu

Default Sky, Rick's Blue Tegu

Today, Jan 9th. 2005. I picked up a blue tegu, Sky. Sky is exactly 36 inches long, STL (Snout Tail Length). She is almost six months old. She is possible HET for albino, but this could matter less to me as I fell in love with her for her calm personality.

I put her into a temporary enclosure and in the next day or two I will need to go buy some materials and build something. As of this moment I have offered her superworms and large crickets and she shows no interest, but we just got home so I will give her some time.

I am going to go create an album and upload a few pictures of her in the Tegu Album. I will keep this thread updated just like I do my "Tux, Rick's Argentine Black & White Tegu" thread. Please to not post replies in this thread. if you wish to make a comment please create a new thread in the "General Discussion" forum. I want to keep this thread clear of clutter and use it for Sky's progress.

Thank you for reading this. I hope you enjoy the pictures I posted.

Rick
    theTegu.com

In reply to a post by John.

I am told she was born on June 11th, 2004. This puts my math off a month. This makes her almost seven months, not six. Tomorrow she will be exactly seven months old & a huge 36 inches exactly. You can tell she is still young as she isn't very large around and is just getting longer at this point.

She was raised by one previous owner who only gave her up because she was getting too large. She is very calm, but we will see how this holds up after the 'honeymoon' period.

I have offered live superworms, live crickets, live fuzzy, no interest in anything as of yet, but I am sure she will take food tomorrow after she settles for the night.

Rick
    theTegu.com

Well, it's been two days since I got Sky. We enjoyed the ride home together (3 hour ride) and she was out for an hour after we returned, she promptly buried herself in the temp enclosure. I checked on her and she is indeed hibernating.

I had to move the enclosure so I dug her up and put her into a plastic sweater box and reburied her. She looked at me during this, but didn't seem to mind the move. She is now in the soon to be reptile room buried inside a plastic box with no cover.

The reptile room is setup for the tegus and has nothing for them to get hurt on and the door is blocked off, so if Sky comes out of hibernation she can crawl out of the box and move around. I check hourly for any movement and I will check daily for a heartbeat/breathing inside the box and keep you posted.

Tomorrow evening I will have to move the plastic box out of the room while I build the 8 foot x 3 foot x 2.5 foot tegu enclosure. I can then put her sleeping place inside the enclosure.

Rick
    theTegu.com

I started working on the enclosure for the tegus. I sat looking at the area I had to work with (part of a 9 foot by 7 foot room) and an 8 foot by 3 foot enclosure would not work. I would have to make the enclosure in that room and if you make an 8 foot enclosure in a 9 foot room you have no room to put on the sides, bleh.

So I am making a multilevel enclosure. Two levels are for Sky, with doggy door and free access to the entire room, and one level for Tux & Tila. Once Tux & Tila are larger I will introduce them to Sky and they can share the bottom two levels and the top level can be used for something else. The levels are corner shaped. To explain, draw a line 4 feet long from left to right. From the left end of the line draw a line straight down, towards you, 4 feet long. From the right end of the first line, draw a line straight down, towards you, 1 foot long. Now connect the two lines. So the back wall is 4 feet, the left wall is 4 feet, the right wall is 1 foot and the face is 5 feet. The bottom enclosure is two levels. The second level is accessible by a ladder (a plank angled with footholds). Once it is complete I will post some images, but keep in mind that I am no carpenter and this is the biggest DIY project I have tackled.

Yesterday evening I was sitting on the couch holding Tux and looked to the left. I have a large sweater box filled with mulch in which Sky was hibernating/brumating. She was sitting there with her head out, just watching me and Tux. It was rather cute. I took a picture (it's in my tegu albums) then moved her sweater box to the floor in the reptile room. Shortly afterwards she came out of the box she got a drink of water, but she didn't eat. She did have have a bowel movement (and man, did it stink). She lurked around the reptile room, stopping now and then to bask and this morning is laying under a bath towel in there.

I am unsure if she is going to go back into hibernation/brumation or not. I am not sure how long she was in hibernation/brumation before I got her either. Time will tell. I will keep you posted.

Rick
    theTegu.com