Thread: Humidifier?

Default Humidifier?

So, I would like you guy's opinion. I need to get a humidifier for the Tegu....
    What do you guys use to keep humidity up? Any particular brand over the other?
    Any particular set up that you use?

I have heard the Crane ones are really good for this type of thing. They are cool mist and actually "steam". They are the childrens ones, there is a frog, a duck, and an elephant...the elephant looks the best as the "steam" comes out his trunk so it is easy to attach a flex tube over it. I actually just changed my substrate to see if it would help for humidity and it seems to be amazing. I mixed peat moss, natural black earth soil, and a bit of coco husk chips. I am doing everything else the same as I was when I just used the coco husk but my humidity went from about 50% to 85% (a bit high now I know so I can maybe mist once every other day in stead of each day)

Vanessa
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada
    1.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dezie)
    0.1.0 Argenitne Red Tegu (rehome)
    1.0.1 Fat-Tailed Gecko (Holly and Chugington)
    1.0.0 Brittish Bulldog (Bently)
    1.0.0 Cockerpug (Ryder) Perfect name as he "rides" everything!
    0.2.0 Children (Cadence 5, Jordan 2)
    Large Saltwater tank that contains Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Foxface, 4 Gobeys, firefish, a couple shrimps, and a grumpy Brittle Star that eats fish while they sleep!

I keep my reptiles in a room that has relatively low humidity (never above 50%....sometimes as low as 30%) So I use "humid hides" for just about all of them...

For My Tegu I have a A zoo-med habitat heater and some moss/moist mulch with a large plastic tote over that. Inside the tote the humidity can be up to 80%. and is doing great on shedding, so this method works for me. I have never used a humidifier..and I know there are some out there that would not approve of my method, but I found i was getting good results (and saving money) by doing it this way...

(I also use straw for bedding so I dont think i could use a humidifier...it would turn into mold city in a rush, lol)
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

We are now on our second ZooMed ReptiFogger. They work great if you follow all the instructions (distilled water only, position base on a level surface and up above the enclosure, so the hose can go down as vertically as possible). But even at that, they tend not to live very long -- ours lasted just short of a year. If you call the manufacturer they are very nice and will send you certain replacement parts, but the life span is limited compared to the price: around $50 if you shop for it.

I picked up a few $25 humidifiers from Walgreens that work very well. I have one for my Tegu, Rhino Iguana, and both monitor cages.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wal...040512-product

The best type of bottle to use for these is the 20oz soda bottles. Some PVC will be needed to get the mist into the enclosure.
    Last edited by james.w; 04-27-2011 at 04:16 AM. Reason: added a link

heres a pic of my set up. walgreens humidifier, put a plastic nipple/sleeve from home depot on the top, silicone around it, and ran some plastic hose and ran it into the cage. wraped some fake plants aroind some of the hose. its hooked up to a timer and goes off for a while before the lights come on in the am and then again in afternoon. i have my lights go off for maybe an hr or hr and half mid day, the humidfer runs a lil around this time with the lights on and off.

forgot the pics, ha! humidty i stays arond 70-80 sih then drops after lights or on for a while
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have also found using top soil with my mulch has helped alot one 1/2 of the cage is just dirt I also keep alot of hanging plants.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.01 CBB northern blue tongue skink lucy
    0.0.1 blue spot timor monitor evie
    0.1 b&w & red hybrid loo loo
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

my tegu ate some of the clumps of soil one time when i used it with mulch...how do u break it all up or break it down?