Thread: Tank Lid

Default Tank Lid

Got a great custom glass cage (8'x4'x3.5') for a $300 steal, it just didn't come with a lid-- we fashioned a lid out of wood, however we're puzzled on how we could fasten it down. Any suggestions?

Right now we've made piles out of my old text books and put them on the ends just in case he tries to push up, effective; but obviously not aesthetically pleasing.

Hey Kitty! How's Monster or Gordita? Is it possible to make a nice wood trim around the glass, make a wood lid, then fasten it with hinges?
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Hey! The little one came out of hibernation just a few weeks ago; eating like crazy and taming down like a champ-- I'm a proud mama.
    It has a funny lip around the edges (just to place a regular ole piece of plastic/glass for an aquarium top so that it sits flush with the top edge), what my guy helping me build the cage suggested was using industrial strength velcro on both the top and the edge.

I think I'll try the velcro out, and it I'm just not loving it we'll do the wood trim-- since its the best overall route.

If you want to you can try to use some strap down ties ( link below ) to hole the wooden lid down. When some of my Tegus had a shedding problem and I put them in a big plastic bin I had to use those ties so they don't pop the lid open and get out lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kE4xnA-eEY
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Wow, sounds like you really lucked out on that enclosure.

For the top, here's what we were considering for Hernando's old terrarium (we never pursued the idea because all of a sudden he outgrew the cage). First, we learned that most clamps and weight-based tops would eventually be defeated by his superpowers. The straps that txrepgirl describes would be tegu-proof in the vertical direction, but the lid needs to sit in some kind of frame or the little angel will learn to slide it aside and squeeze himself out.

Our tank had a metal trim at the top. We were going to go to a place that makes custom window screens, which have metal frames. Have them create 3 frames. (Don't try to create a top for the entire area or it will be structurally unsound.) The inside edge of the frames should be designed to fit the outside edge of the top trim, with one side side of the frame open where the lid panels slide in. Here is a random place I googled, to show what I mean by the frames:

http://www.qualitywindowscreen.com/s...s-c-77_80.html

We were going to leave the top on one side as screen, and were going to put the heat & MVB light on that side, sitting on the screen. We were going to cut or plastic panels to slide into in the other two frames (middle and opposite end), so there would be more coverage to hold in humidity.

Like I say, we never carried this out. I'm sure the physics need more thinking through, but that's the start of the idea.

Please post pictures of whatever you work out, or even of the unfinished tank. In case it helps spark a few more ideas. Good luck!