Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Age old question

Default Age old question

I have been offering my tegu crickets he ate a few, turkey not interested I am going to add raw egg tommorrow. I noticed that recipe on llreptile I don't now what people's thoughts are on raw egg with the shell. I had thawed out a small mouse for one of my snake it decided it was not hungry. I cut it in 1/2 and offered it to my tegu he loved it. He is maybe 15 inches is it ok if I cut it up that he eats a small mouse or is that too big? I know I can feed him this only three times a week. He seemed very happy after exploring his new enclosure can he digest a sull etc on something bigger than a hopper? I also have dubias coming soon.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.01 CBB northern blue tongue skink lucy
    0.0.1 blue spot timor monitor evie
    0.1 b&w & red hybrid loo loo
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

Eating a larger prey item is fine if you cut it up so he can get it down. I'm not entirely sure but I think that a larger prey item would have more nutrients than a pinkie, pinkies seem to be more liquid than anything. Maybe someone else can give some input there? I always do eggs cooked, eating the shell is not an issue. The reason I cook the eggs is to avoid salmonella, it seems weird since they eat raw meats but thats what I've always read and followed. I'm glad hes chowing down for you!
    2.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegus (Rango & Guru)
    1.0.0 Red/Blue Tegu (No Name)
    1.1.0 APBT (Conan & Riley)

Thanks for the reply. I have heard they have more nutrition it was kind of disturbing to do but I saw someone else cut one for their tegu that their snake did not eat. I was going to try raw eggs I was reading the LL reptile recipe that they use at the san diego zoo for their monitors and tegus. Funny how every hobby has at least one part that there are so many varying opinions about. So much to learn.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

I feed raw egg and do not have any problems. Each person has to find their own way on that one. I don't usually feed the shell because I can't get it in small enough pieces and I see it pass in the stool in large pieces. So I figured why bother?

I used to feed the SDZ diet pretty regularly, but just got tired of mixing it like that. I still add that amount of calcium to the meat, and put egg on for some of the tegus. Some of my tegus can get egg dependent, so I'd rather coat the food a bit with egg and have them eat the turkey plain, too. I think it is a good diet, but I wonder about pre-mixing vitamins and the effect of freezing and storage on their longevity. I would personally prefer to add viatmins at each feedng.

Older mice have more calcium. The tegu needs to eat legs and such as well. He might not be able to handle to hair very well at a young age, so keep an eye on him.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Mine shows no interest in turkey I think he has only had crickets before.I was going to coo just the egg whites and mix it with the raw turkey see if the smell attracts him.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

The yolk is yummier.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

When we still had ours, they wouldn't even tough eggs unless they were somewhat cooked. About every week or two, I'd add a few drops of cod liver oil to about two or three beaten eggs, then I'd just scrambled the whole thing up in an ungreased frying pan real quick, throw some calcium powder on it, and viola! Instant nasty-smelling tegu treat.

When we first got them, and they were still so tiny, I'd frequently chop up the F/T rodents for them. In the beginning, I'd cut pinkies in half, which seemed to go down better. After only a couple weeks (if that), they were big enough to not need their rodents murdered, and I could feed them off whole (as long as they were of an appropriate size).
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

he has only eaten the mouse.He won't touch anything else.I don't know often I can give him those. I have dubias coming in the next few days.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

I know that sometimes it can take them a little while to get themselves started on a regular feeding schedule... you know, dealing with relocation stress and all. I would just suggest to continue to offer him a variety of things every day. Granted, he very may well pick out his favorites, and refuse to eat anything else until you're ready to pull your hair out, but you have to think of it this way; they're not going to let themselves starve to death... when he gets hungry enough, he'll eat.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

Thanks I will try not to worry.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie