Thread: Just a Quick Enclosure Question

Default Just a Quick Enclosure Question

Even better news guys! My mom and I talked and she has decided that I can go ahead and get an Argentine Tegu for my 18th birthday, which will be May 25. Here's the deal, however. We're starting it out in a 40 gallon breeder then we're going to upgrade to 4x2x2. The 4x2x2 will only be temporary until I buy the 8x3x3 which will be sometime next year. Will my Tegu be fine in the 4x2 as long as he gets plenty of free roam time until I buy or build his final enclosure, which will be the 8x3?

There is no simple yes or no for this. Every Tegu grows at different rates. If he/she hibernate he may not exceed 17 inches by the first year but if he doesnt then he will continue to grow. We had our baby (was 10" last July and 6 weeks old) in a 4x2x2 to start and planned to work on his 8x4x4
    enclosure over the winter but by November he was about 40" and desperate to be moved into a larger tank. He never did hibernate last winter at all and he will be 12 months old come May 25 (you share the same birthday!) and he is currently 43.5". I also had a little red tegu that was housed with my black and white for a few months but she hibernated all last summer and was outgrown by the male. She is a little older and only about 17" in length.

Sorry I can't be of more help,
    Vanessa
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada
    1.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dezie)
    0.1.0 Argenitne Red Tegu (rehome)
    1.0.1 Fat-Tailed Gecko (Holly and Chugington)
    1.0.0 Brittish Bulldog (Bently)
    1.0.0 Cockerpug (Ryder) Perfect name as he "rides" everything!
    0.2.0 Children (Cadence 5, Jordan 2)
    Large Saltwater tank that contains Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Foxface, 4 Gobeys, firefish, a couple shrimps, and a grumpy Brittle Star that eats fish while they sleep!

tegu growth rates are different with each tegu but yes a 4/2 cage with work for a while if you are buying a hatchling tegu and letting the tegu free roam daily.
    too many tegus But can never say no to the GU

Well, we had gotten ours during the beginning of Sept... and two months later, they were already feeling cramped in their 4' x 2' enclosure. But neither one of them had hibernated, so they grew FAST. One of them, Oscar, CONSTANTLY wanted out for his free-roam time, but there can be a danger in that, keeping them out of their climate-controlled enclosure (ask HernandosMom about that one).

Every tegu is different, but if I were you, I' plan on building the final enclosure sooner than what you first realized.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

Also depending on what you are buliding with I used 2x4 and sheets of plywood it is not a huge difference in price. O also used ace brand drylock that was $18 a gallon as opposed tothe name brand. I am going to slowly adding the expensive stuff like crown molding and nice latches etc over the next few weeks.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.01 CBB northern blue tongue skink lucy
    0.0.1 blue spot timor monitor evie
    0.1 b&w & red hybrid loo loo
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo