Thread: New Fat-Tailed Geckos!

Cool New Fat-Tailed Geckos!

So my daughter is going to be 6 years old this May and really wanted her "own" lizard. I did some research and both my daughter and I decided that a fat-tailed gecko is pretty easy to care for, pretty slow moving, and relatively a gentle creature. We have been keeping our eye out lately in the classified for captive bred babies or juvies. We finally found a young pair in a local reputable reptile store. They are roughly 6 months old and captive bred. The one is a striped normal and a male and the other is a normal and we are thinking girl but not certain as of yet. I have set them up in a 10g for now with an UTH and a
    70W red light. We used moistened coco coir for the substrate, a hide on each side of the tank, some fake plants to add some more security, and a water dish. I plan to put a small dish of calcium in there too tomorrow. The warm side of the tank on the surface of the substrate is at 85 F under the red light and over the UTH. So here are a couple pics of the set-up and the male gecko (the female found a comfy hide and fell asleep). I am rather new to geckos so please I won't take offense if you spot an error in my set-up or anything. Also I am aiming to maintain humidity at around 65%, does that sound about right?

Vanessa
    Last edited by Nessie; 04-24-2011 at 01:28 AM.
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada
    1.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dezie)
    0.1.0 Argenitne Red Tegu (rehome)
    1.0.1 Fat-Tailed Gecko (Holly and Chugington)
    1.0.0 Brittish Bulldog (Bently)
    1.0.0 Cockerpug (Ryder) Perfect name as he "rides" everything!
    0.2.0 Children (Cadence 5, Jordan 2)
    Large Saltwater tank that contains Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Foxface, 4 Gobeys, firefish, a couple shrimps, and a grumpy Brittle Star that eats fish while they sleep!

You got one!!! He's so cute!!! Seems like red lights were a no-no. I don't use them, so I can't say for sure.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Hi Laura,
    Yeah we actually got 2, a boy and girl, they are about 6 months old. I have done some research and have been told that since they are nocturnal animals they don't see red. If I am wrong on this then please some one correct me cause I wouldn't want to do something wrong right off the start! I had stopped using all red lights years ago but was told by a few that red lights may be used for nocturnal geckos.
    I must say I am really glad I got my duaghter the fat-tailed geckos. They are so slow moving! It is funny to watch them "stalk" a cricket and it is so cute to see them use their tail to throw themselves into the cricket. I am actually thinking I am going to get myself some cute little leopard geckos too for myself as they are so easy to care for.
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada
    Large Saltwater tank that contains Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Foxface, 4 Gobeys, firefish, a couple shrimps, and a grumpy Brittle Star that eats fish while they sleep!

awesome little gecko
    too many tegus But can never say no to the GU

Very nice, congrats.
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

They are so adorable! We watch our crestie stalk crickets then launch at them. They look so clumsy sometimes I wonder how they survive. Then we got a couple of young males that weren't handled much and those little things are FAST! I also ended up getting a red eyed croc skink. These little nocturnal lizards that don't require lighting and huge cages are starting to win me over, heh heh!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I must say I originally started looking at geckos for my daughter but I am really thinking these guys are great! They are way too cute, easy to handle, and I could have a heard of them for the time it takes me to provide daily care to Dezie! Not that I am complaining but for me who wants a house full of lizards and not nearly enough time in my day these guys make it easy to have more. I am thinking about getting some nice morphs at the next expo and try my hand at breeding the little cuties down the road!
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada

I'd say go for it!!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes