Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Houdini ( black throat monitor ) update

Default Houdini ( black throat monitor ) update

Hi everyone. I just wanted to post some updated videos of Houdini. He is still a bit skittish when we reach in the enclosure but other then that he is a awsome boy . I know the enclosure is to small for him but when we ordered him the guy told us that Houdini is just 12" long. Well when we got him we saw that he is way bigger then 12". So we are going to build him a new enclosure . I don't like feeding him inside of his enclosure but everytime I pick him up he pees on me and it stinks so bad lol.

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgir.../1/wP56903ZqfQ

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgir.../2/BOxz0wyjNwQ

Bryan just held him for the first time ( well for except the day he unpacked him ). It's no fair :( . When I hold Houdini he always pees on me. But when Bryan just held him he didn't get peed on lol.

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl?feature=mhum
    Last edited by txrepgirl; 04-24-2011 at 11:28 PM.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

He looks great! I just subd to your channel, I thought I already was but apparently not
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada
    1.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dezie)
    0.1.0 Argenitne Red Tegu (rehome)
    1.0.1 Fat-Tailed Gecko (Holly and Chugington)
    1.0.0 Brittish Bulldog (Bently)
    1.0.0 Cockerpug (Ryder) Perfect name as he "rides" everything!
    0.2.0 Children (Cadence 5, Jordan 2)
    Large Saltwater tank that contains Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Foxface, 4 Gobeys, firefish, a couple shrimps, and a grumpy Brittle Star that eats fish while they sleep!

He's very cool!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

So cute. I love watching your videos.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.01 CBB northern blue tongue skink lucy
    0.0.1 blue spot timor monitor evie
    0.1 b&w & red hybrid loo loo
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

he looks great
    i love his colouring
    leopard gecko. Lizzie RIP

Thank you everyone . I'm so confused on what to do with him. I have been treating him since day one like I did with my Tegus. But I'm a member on another forum and they told me not to handel him at all for a while and just to feed him rodents and just some bugs and worms. If I give him that raw meat it will lead to death. I was thinking like " what the heck ". Houdini doesn't like to eat bugs ( crickets..... ) any more. The other day he barely ate some super worms. I'm worried to give him just the rodents because of impaction and him not getting a variety in the diet. Since I stoped holding him for a few days he became a bit more skittish when I reach in there. So I think I'm just going back to doing what I did before. Here is a updated photo. This was before I stoped holding him for a few days.

He loves basking on that branch

Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

What. A. Cutie.

He looks pretty well-fed to me. I know absolutely nothing about raising monitors, but at least I know that I don't know. Just like with the tegu forums, you are going to find people with strong opinions or with methods that "worked for me" and therefore they are convinced that their way is the only way. I'm not saying disregard it all, just suggesting you weigh the qualifications of the various folks giving you their opinion.

If you are worried about impaction from too little variety, maybe stick with mice rather than rats. From what I've read their fur is less likely to accumulate because it's not as coarse as rat hair. If you haven't already got your hands on a good book by an authoritative source on monitors, that might help. At least you can read the author's background and tell how much research he/she has done on the subject.

I know you are a concerned pet owner, but please don't worry so much that you can't enjoy your pet!
    Last edited by HernandosMom; 05-05-2011 at 06:45 AM. Reason: typo

I have been on the monitor forum also and some people like every forum have strong opinions. I would not stop handling him enjoy him. He looks very healthy . I don't know about turkey leading to death I know that it sshould not be a main staple from what I understand but rodents should not be either. Have you tried roaches? I know with savannahs there is a turkey diet with steamed bone meal and centrum but it has to be followed exactly as written.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.01 CBB northern blue tongue skink lucy
    0.0.1 blue spot timor monitor evie
    0.1 b&w & red hybrid loo loo
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

I have had more experience with monitors than I have with tegus.

Just my .02, I have noticed monitors, mainly my old BT went absolutely nuts for lobster roaches, crickets nand super mealworms were largely ignored. Rodents, mainly mice were liked a lot more than rats. With monitors I wouldn't worry about impaction as much as a tegu.

I used the guidline Proexotics provided. Roaches and rodents( once or twice per week) and I never had any issues.

Taming a monitor is a whole different level when compared to taming tegus. They are more likely to bite and after they are aound 3 feet gloves are mostly useless. Their teeth are very sharp, much more so than a tegu. Its going to take a lot more patience than a tegu.

My opinion was always hands off for a full month before interaction. I fed roaches and mice exclusively. I kept my basking spot at 135-140. I never fed outside their enclosure.

Who did you get the BT from? I am looking for one and sinc PE doesn't import them anymore, I am leery on who to buy from since they are almost exclusively farmed in Africa. I always trusted PE, they waited months for their stock to go onsale. No parasites and healthy, as close to true CBB as youu can get.

Yours looks great by the way, do whatever you feel is right for you!

Opinions are like....well you get the point.

:lol: He opens his mouth really wide,.. but only gets little pieces most of the time.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"