Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When should I start to worry?

To clarify something about temps, the ambient or air temperature may be in the 90's, but a wild tegu or any reptile will find a surface area such as a rock with higher heat capacity than the air. That's why a temp gun can pick up 110 degrees on the basking surface but a wall-mounted thermometer will read much less. In their natural climate, the average temperatures will therefore not be as high as what they will choose as their basking temperatures.

I use a temp gun to monitor my temps. I took him yesterday Mike said he looks great not dehydrated and he could not feel any blockages. Mike does not let his basking spots to go much over 100 degrees. I told him when I had my temps up to 110 sampson would hide he said temp like that are suited for a beardie but not a tegu. I am worried maybe that first mouse was too much and he is having trouble. He suggested soaking him daily this will help him if he has any poop stuck. I also noticed looked like he may be starting to shed there was a loose scale on his face. Maybe he is burying to help with a shed.The ambient temp is 90 around the basking spot but I will keep the area he basks at 100. I figure Mike has been keeping and breeding tegus for 10 years so that must count for something. My worries have not gone away he said he could be chubbier but is not sunken on his sides and his tail is nice and plump at the base. I have never had an animal refuse food. I bumped up the basking spot to 110 yesterday and he hid under the hide. i am wondering if he is use to a lower bsking temp because at NERD they do not reccommend a basking spot too much over 100 and that is what he is used to but they did say babies do hide alot.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.01 CBB northern blue tongue skink lucy
    0.0.1 blue spot timor monitor evie
    0.1 b&w & red hybrid loo loo
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

Hmmm...

Well, it's true, babies tend to hide a lot. Like a LOT sometimes. I know for a few weeks after we had gotten ours, they would run and hide the minute they caught sight of us. It's very possible that the little one is still stressed from the move. Try as best as you can not to overly worry about it.

I'm going to assume that the reason that most everyone is telling you to bump up your temps a bit, is because that's what everyone's experience is telling them. For ours (when we still had them) I had two slightly different basking spots right next to each other... basically, I had a stack of flagstones set up like a series of plateaus. A 100 watt Powersun and a separate lower wattage basking bulb were aimed at the middle of everything (I used a thermostat to regulate the separate basking bulb). On the highest flagstone, the basking temps were routinely around 115*F, and on the next lower one, the basking temps hovered around 105*F. Both of them (they were housed together) alternated between the two spots, but Oscar preferred the higher temps, whereas Bozski preferred the lower of the two. Eh, it just goes to show you that there *can* be a little bit of flexibility.

Also keep in mind, that some tegus will become very picky eaters while going through a shed.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

I have the same thing like the flag stone he likes to bury under that hide it is about 20"long and he basks on top of it. I bumped up the temp yestrday and I am going to get the cool side around 80's to see what happens. I was afraid he would not go under the uvb when he was on the cool side but I guess if he is buried it doesn't matter anyways. I also changed from the repti sun 10. linear bulb to the power sun maybe that will help. I cannot wait until it warms up here to get him outside. He did take a few licks of some yogurt last night so that is progress. He just looks more baggy to me and mellow. I can go right up and pick him up this could also be because I have been taking all the advice about playing around with my hands in the tank so he is more relaxed with me. I am going to keep an eye the next couple of days if he does not improve he will go to the vet for a fecal. I appreciate everyone listening to me worrry everyday and give me advice. He is such a sweet lizard I just don't want anything to happen to him.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

Hahaha, we all understand the worrying... you can ask any of the regulars here; I was a complete trainwreck basketcase when I was getting everything researched and prepared for our tegus.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

This issue was starting to concern me, so I made a few phone calls to back things up. I called NERD today and they informed me that their baby tegus that they have in stock now, and for the last few months, have come from a wholesaler in Florida. Which means they're probably farm raised. Does that mean that this tegu might be on one of the flipflop hibernation schedules that I've read about?

**They also told me their tegus are feeding strictly on crickets and pinkies, but couldn't tell me whether they were live or frozen thawed. I'm glad you got more info than I did, I've heard great things about Mike!

***And to clarify, I'm confused about what he's eaten so far, here it says a pinky and a mouse, but on the other forums it says a piece of a mouse??
    Last edited by lilwyhunter; 04-29-2011 at 10:11 PM.
    0.1 B&W Tegu (Remington Steel)
    1.0 Extreme Giant Tegu (Smallz)
    1.0 Blue Tegu (Shakespeare)

0.1 Red Tegu (Izma)
    0.0.1 Caiman Lizard (Bubba)
    0.1 Black Throat Monitor (Tanin)
    1.1 Emerald Tree Boas (Buddy & Ezzy)
    0.1 Lavender Albino Reticulated Python (Leelu)
    1.0 Granite Burmese Python (Reaper)
    --
    Too Many. Ball Pythons
    Too Many. Jungle Carpet Pythons

I asked them if they were farm raised they said they were not but their columbians are. I am pretty dissapointed if they are imports. I asked Mike , and Brad there and they assured me they are not farm raised. I emailed Kevin today i am waiting fior a reply. I will be pretty ticked I have been really struggling to get him to eat. I also callthere at least every two days with my concerns. The other night I drove him there 1 hour 20 minute drive to have Mike look at him. He told me it is possible to have babies early in the year bred and born in the US now it looks like I was misinformed. Today was a better day he took some licks of yogurt and baby food and he went to the bathroom finally. After he went to the bathroom he was really active all day he just buried at 5:30 he has never been out that long. I wish I knew how I should handle this.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

They may have access to tegus and breeding that I'm not aware of as well. It just seems awfully early to see American tegus out and about, my tegus don't leave hibernation until about March, and then there's a breeding and gestation period, and then a 60 day wait for the eggs to hatch. So, I could have been misinformed, I just want to make sure you're getting accurate information. I hope you get a reply, as I've always heard fantastic things about Mike and how helpful he is. If your tegus is two months, that puts his hatch date in February, and his lay date in December. It just seems like wierd timing to me is all.
    0.1 B&W Tegu (Remington Steel)
    1.0 Extreme Giant Tegu (Smallz)
    1.0 Blue Tegu (Shakespeare)

0.1 Red Tegu (Izma)
    0.0.1 Caiman Lizard (Bubba)
    0.1 Black Throat Monitor (Tanin)
    1.1 Emerald Tree Boas (Buddy & Ezzy)
    0.1 Lavender Albino Reticulated Python (Leelu)
    1.0 Granite Burmese Python (Reaper)
    --
    Too Many. Ball Pythons
    Too Many. Jungle Carpet Pythons

Hopefully I will hear baack from Kevin. Mike has been really great everyone there has been. I am sure you can imagine I have been calling them quite a bit. I even drove him there for Mike to check over. I know he has alot of experience since he has had his pair for 10 years and has bred them.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

Ben Siegel has been selling tegus out of Florida recently. He is a big importer. Not that it's good or bad, or that yours came from him, just stating some info. It may or may not be hibernation, but it could be parasites, dehydration, stress from multiple shipping trips.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets