Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Baby Louis

Default New Baby Louis

I just got my very first tegu. His name is Louis (pronounced Loo-Ee; AKA Lou, Baby, Baby-boy, Doofus, or just plain old Cutie.)
    Supposedly Lou is a Colombian black and white tegu, but all of the forums or blogs I've read suggest otherwise. He looks and acts a lot more like an argentine.
    Lou is 5 years old. He's my little foster-baby. His old mom had to give him away because she was moving to a trailer park and had no more room. She called him Cuddles. Understandable that I would change that, right?
    Lou was outrageously expensive, but he also came with a custom enclosure, so I guess the price made a little more sense. 500 flippin' dollars.
    So far, he has been an extremely rambunctious addition to the household, with 2 escapes, 1 outdoor outing, and about a thousand mice within the last month. I attribute his extreme behavior to the stress of moving parents.
    I have had only one bite so far, but it was completely my fault and healed up in like a week. I don't think he really wanted to bite. He's a little gentleman.
    Lou has definitely taken quickly to my brother, Matt. (24 yrs old). Matt seems to get more snuggling in with him than I do. I'm a wee bit jealous, actually. Although, at one point, the little Doofus decided Matt's face tasted good. REALLY good. That was the first day my brother got to find out what the inside of a tegu mouth looks like.
    Lou definitely is a big foodie. Bananas, Mangos, Apples, Mice, Chicken, Tuna, Hackey Sacks. You name it, Louis loves to eat it. He's gained quite a bit of weight since he came home with me. He used to weigh 3 pounds, but I'm thinking he's more like 5 now. At least I can't see his ribcage anymore.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your louis is a Argentine Tegu not a Colombian.. Very pretty .. oh and he looks like a she!
    http://www.facebook.com/tegugurl
    http://http://tegusfromaroundtheworld.weebly.com/
    0.1.0 Red Tegu "Freyja"
    0.1.0 Argentine Black Nose Tegu "Mylnor"
    2.0.0 Chacoan Giant Tegu "Midgard & Murphy
    1.0.0 Chihuahua "Odie"

well at least he is eating, and he sounds realy nice
    leopard gecko. Lizzie RIP

Welcome to the forum!

And yeah, that's DEFINITELY an Argentine tegu... and he does very much look more like a SHE, looking at the head shape and the lack of jowls; don't worry, you can still call her Doofus or Cutie.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

Congratulations you will really enjoy him. Glad to see she is putting on weight and yes that looks like an argentine to me.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.01 CBB northern blue tongue skink lucy
    0.0.1 blue spot timor monitor evie
    0.1 b&w & red hybrid loo loo
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

Wow, really? He can't be a girl... That would be wayy too weird. But I guess since his old mom didn't even know what kind he was, she probably didn't know that, either. How can I check his sex to be sure?

It looks female to me if its 5 yrs old.. Males will develop jowls, some aren't as large as others but they would definitely noticeable. Another thing you can look for are sperm plugs... (Nasty, sick, gross, ew lol) If you have a male you will notice stringy, white gunk in the feces. Some people mistake them for worms. I'm not sure how often they appear in adult males, I've read some will have them daily. I've only seen 5 or so from my male but hes still just under a year. Heres a link to a thread from a different forum (can i do that? lol), I asked a question about sperm plugs and included a wonderful picture for everyone to see..
    http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.p...#axzz1KneejyYd

By the looks of your tegu, it is an argentine. It looks to be female. Another way you can check is having it probed, I would take it to a vet to have that done. It can cause some major issues if done wrong.
    2.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegus (Rango & Guru)
    1.0.0 Red/Blue Tegu (No Name)
    1.1.0 APBT (Conan & Riley)

Louis is definitely a Louisa. I still don't think she's Argentine, though. The guy who had her as a baby said its a lot easier to tell when they are younger, but that she is definitely a Colombian. Also, an unrelated but recently learned fact; Lou has really unbearable poop smells after a banana. No more bananas. I had to sleep in my living room.

Ummm, it's VERY easy to tell the difference between an Argentine and a Columbian... and yours, my friend, is DEFINITELY an Argentine. Hopefully one of the members here who have Columbians will speak up and post some pics for you.

Keep bananas regulated to being a treat only; any more than that, and it can be unhealthy for them. And I hate to break the news, but tegus have nasty-smelling poo in general, no matter what they eat. Granted, certain things will make it even worse, but it's truly a horrid thing.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

The easy way to tell is the loreal scales. Yours has 2 = argentine ... columbians have 1. Aside from the fact that there's no such thing as a black and white columbian tegu anyway.