Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Italy!!!

Default Hi from Italy!!!

Hello guys, I'm happy to be part of this forum.
    I breed reptiles for many years, especially snakes, Python molurus, Boa constrictor, Python curtus and Anaconda and bred piranhas.
    These days, will my first tegu, here in Italy, very few people tegu breeding, so I need your help and your advice.
    Meanwhile, I show you the first pictures of the terrarium that I'm preparing for him, the measures are: 220 cm x 220 cm x 90 cm in height, thanks to all.

Welcome to the forum!! We'll be happy to help you with any questions you may have.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Thanks Laura, I have many questions to ask, I need
    opinions of people like you tegu breeding.

In the room the winter temperature drops at night
    up to 10 ° C during the day, more in winter than fall to 15 ° C, do you have to do the roof closed or
    just only a grid?

I will use the terrarium heating lamps, both day and night, night with a lamp that produces only heat, no light, for the tranquility of my animal.

What do you say?

Hi and welcome. I like the big space you are providing for your tegu(s). If those blocks aren't anchored down, you may find that a fully grown tegu is able to push them aside when he wants!

Tegus need a basking spot that reaches a surface temperature of 38-43 degrees C. Best to provide a temperature gradient from that hot spot to a cooler end where ambient temperatures don't drop much below 26C. In a basement, you can control the light and heat cycles so that your tegus need not hibernate unless you want them to. You are lucky to have a basement for this project.

In addition to heat, you'll need to provide UVB light, preferably from a mercury vapor bulb (which will also help with the heating). Is your night lamp a ceramic heat emitter, or a blue bulb? A ceramic heat bulb is preferred, as many kinds of blue or red night bulbs, which are designed for nocturnal animals, can harm a tegu's vision.

I'm sorry I don't speak italian. I took a class, twice, but was so bad the instructor groaned when she saw me show up for class the second time around.

Ciao e benvenuto. Mi piace il grande spazio si è provveduto alla tua tegu (s). Se questi blocchi non sono ancorate verso il basso, si può constatare che un tegu adulto è in grado di spingerli a parte quando vuole!

Tegus bisogno di un posto elefante che raggiunge una temperatura superficiale di 38-43 ° C. meglio per fornire un gradiente di temperatura da quel punto caldo per un fine più freddo la cui temperatura non si abbassano molto al di sotto 26C. In un seminterrato, è possibile controllare i cicli di luce e calore in modo che il Tegus non deve hibernate meno che non li vuole. Siete fortunati ad avere un piano interrato per questo progetto.

Oltre al calore, è necessario per fornire la luce UVB, preferibilmente da una lampadina a vapori di mercurio (che aiuterà anche con il riscaldamento). È la lampada notte un emettitore di calore in ceramica, o di una lampadina blu? Una lampadina di calore in ceramica è preferito, come molti tipi di lampadine blu notte o rosso, che sono progettati per gli animali notturni, può danneggiare la visione di uno tegu.

Mi dispiace di non parlano italiano. Ho preso una classe, due volte, ma è andata male l'istruttore gemette quando mi vide apparire per classe la seconda volta.

Hehehe, I thought you just said that you didn't speak Italian.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

If you are planning on breeding, then a cooling period will help to signal seasonal changes. My tegus hibernate in the winter and the temps vary. It may be 10-15 degrees during the day for a little bit, then go back up to 27 degrees. Nighttime temperatures do not usually go below 5-7 degrees. If I think the temperatures are going to go below that range, then I put in a ceramic heat emitter. I live in an area that is considered sub tropical so I don't need to worry about really cold temperatures for more than a few days at a time.

Your enclosure looks solid and roomy. Like it was said before, make sure the blocks cannot be moved. I also make sure the tegus have enough mulch so that they bury to escape the cold. You also have the floor to consider, since the concrete floor will be colder than earth. As for the roof, I would consider both a grid and a solid roof. The grid is nice for warmer weather to allow for ventilation and UV lighting. The solid roof cover may be nice in the winter if there are cold winds that reach the corner.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I just want to point out that Laura is referring to temps in Celsius, not Fahrenheit (just to avoid any confusion if a new tegu parent comes across this while doing husbandry research).
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

Quote Originally Posted by nordica View Post
    Hehehe, I thought you just said that you didn't speak Italian.
    That's Google Translate, not me.

Quote Originally Posted by HernandosMom View Post
    That's Google Translate, not me.
    Hahaha, I figured it was something like that.