Thread: nightcrawlers

Default nightcrawlers

I was at petsmart so I picked upsome nightcrawlers. I brought themhome and Tonka went nuts for them he was shaking them and having a great time. I have seen some old posts on nightcrawlers and was wondering if people fed them. I would be getting them without pesticides etc I did not know how often I could feed them. Tonka is pretty lukewarm on eating ground turkey he seems to like to shake his food slamming it against things like he was in the wild.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.01 CBB northern blue tongue skink lucy
    0.0.1 blue spot timor monitor evie
    0.1 b&w & red hybrid loo loo
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

We fed ours jumbo night crawlers every day when he was a baby, along with half a dozen other things. They were one of his favorites, and they are about 70% protien: http://www.mekarn.org/workshops/environ/PDF/loan.pdf

But by the time he reached juvenile size, we could no longer use them. His jaws had become so strong that he would chomp clean through the worm on first bite, sending the bits all over when he vigorously shook to "kill" the prey. Around that time, it was clear he needed more meaty prey and in greater quantities than what invertebrates could offer. If you have a small tegu, feed them the crawlers now so they can enjoy them while they can!

He is 2 1/2 feet so he took out a box of 12 in a few minutes. He made quite a mess but seemed to be having alot of fun doing it. They will be good for treats for him.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

I never fed them (not by any choice; I simply didn't know about them at the time), but Oscar LOVED flinging around everything we DID feed him. He was the MESSIEST EATER EVER. It didn't matter what he was eating, he absolutely had destroy everything in the process. It's one of the main reasons why we used a separate feeding bin right from the get go; much easier to hose out a rubbermade bin than go digging though mulch for all of the "pieces".
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

This happened on my hardwood floors so they cleaned up easy. I usually feed him in the kitchen but he dragged each one all over the place. I think I had as much fun watching him as he had eating it. He is such a personable funny lizard.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo