Thread: Eye Bubbles

Exclamation Eye Bubbles

Hey all,

Zilla has had an odd problem and I have searched a variety of sources and i have come up empty each time. He has small clear bubbles around his eye...only one eye and not all the time. when they come they stay for a few seconds then he blinks (in a normal way, not as if he is irritated) his site seems to be normal, and his eye looks clear as a bell. These bubbles are puzzling because they only come up every now and then...

Any help is appriciated.

Thanks.
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

There is a passage called the nasolacrimal duct that allows tears to drain through the nose (why your nose runs when you cry). It also allows air to come through the tear duct if enough pressure builds. Perhaps your tegu has a wider passageway or more pressure in the nasal cavity. Sometimes my tegus (maybe it is just one) or my gator will have eye bubbles if they try to eat a prey item that is too big or eat it the wrong way.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Makes sense! the two times i saw it is when he was eating a flounder fillet...and he swallowed it in an upside down weird way, and the other time is when he was swallowing a quail and I noticed instead of the head going straight down it went to on side making it awkward for him to swallow.

thanks for the help!
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad

I wonder if it might also be possible that the nicotinic membrane has been scratched or damaged, so that the fluids that usually keep the eye moist and rinsed are collecting at the bottom of the eye. Perhaps the lizard scraped his eye during a shed. I'd watch closely for signs of infection, like the presence of redness in the "whites" of the eye, or mucousy/puss-like discharge in the corner of the eye. A vet may provide an eye-specific antibiotic in such a case.

Yes i am keeping an eye out....(no pun intended) his eye still looks very normal and clear aside from occassional clear bubbling.
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad

Wow. I have never heard of this kind of problem before. I never seen it on my Tegus. Hmmm, just learned something new . Hope this is all it is and nothing serious.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl