Thread: hello from Utah

Default hello from Utah

I don't own a tegu and most likely never will , as one reptile is enough for me and its Rhino Iguana , I have been browsing this forum for a while and have learned a lot about UV . Here is my Rhinos cage and my Rhino . Its in a 3'x8' cage with a basking area in the middle with two bulbs 16' above . One is a Mega -ray and next to it is a 100 watt halogen bulb hooked to a rheostat so i can adjust the temps . I also have two 5000K florescent daylight bulbs down the middle as fill in . In the top right corned is a Walgreen ultrasonic humidify next to a CHE . The mist is pumped through the heat of the C.H.E. I get the humidity i need without the cage getting wet . I use it in the winter or when needed .

Hi and welcome. Tegus optional!

I love rhino iguanas. A gazillion years ago I fell in love with a baby iguana in a pet store and bought it on impulse. The store owner told me it was a brown iguana, but I realize in hindsight that it was a baby rhino. Back in the day, there was not the same knowledge about UV lighting for pet lizards and a pet owner couldn't buy a UV bulb of any kind. Needless to say, my baby developed a bad case of what the vet called rickets -- MBD due to lack of vitamin D. The treatment back then was small doses of codliver oil for the D and as much direct sunlight as possible. For a number of reasons, he didn't survive. I'm so glad there is much more information known and available today.

May I suggest one change in your setup? You might consider moving the hot zone to one side, so that there is a temperature gradient across the entire enclosure and the lizard can thermoregulate as it needs to. I don't know the lowest temps advised for rhinos, but you want to ensure that the cool side doesn't go below that.

Your lizard looks great. With plenty of good lighting I bet it'll develop all sorts of interesting crest features as it gets older.

BTW, I always found iguanid species easier to sex than tegus. Even at a relatively young age the males tend to have more pronounced femoral pores

Welcome to the other side RobK,.. not everyone visits and or participates on both sites.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

Quote Originally Posted by HernandosMom View Post
    Hi and welcome. Tegus optional!

May I suggest one change in your setup? You might consider moving the hot zone to one side, so that there is a temperature gradient across the entire enclosure and the lizard can thermoregulate as it needs to. I don't know the lowest temps advised for rhinos, but you want to ensure that the cool side doesn't go below that.
    Done !!

i moved the basking area to the far left .

thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by bubblz View Post
    Welcome to the other side RobK,.. not everyone visits and or participates on both sites.

is that you James ??

:lol: Not even,.. same Bubblz on both sites
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

Welcome to the forum!!

Don't worry about not actually owning a tegu... we had ours for a grand total of six months before unforeseen circumstances led us to re-home them. Now all we have are my two beardies and our two ball pythons, but I still frequent this place as it's a GREAT site for information and support.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

Welcome to the forum! I love your rhino! He is very handsome and looks quite spoiled.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Quote Originally Posted by bubblz View Post
    :lol: Not even,.. same Bubblz on both sites

Bubblz Calhoun !!

Quote Originally Posted by laurarfl View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I love your rhino! He is very handsome and looks quite spoiled.
    thanks . and yes he is very spoiled . he is now begging for his food as he sees me putting on the calcium and vitamins , scratching at the glass the whole time . He is really fun to have .