Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stubborn Lucy

Default Stubborn Lucy

I caught Lucy basking today and was able to get some pictures. I think I've figured out her basking habits now. She comes out around 10:00am and generally goes back to bed at around 1-4pm.

She still hasn't eaten much. I got her to eat 3 large crickets last week. She didn't want anything to do with superworms or turkey. Yesterday she buried her plate of turkey about 3 inches under the substrate... I was incredibly confused when I didn't see a dish in the enclosure when I went to take it out. She still hates me and loathes being handled, being near me and being looked at. lol

Oh well, at least she's pretty.

Anyway, here she is. (Ignore her water dish. When she's out, she likes to romp around and apparently dumped it for funzies, I guess.)

A lovely young tegu you got there
    Being stubborn for diet?
    She is still young, soon she'll eat what you feed I think
    But try to feed outside of the enclusure
    I trained my red tegu Pompadour to eat outside when she was similar aged as yours
    After eating, you remove your tegu inside of her house
    I am not sure it is good or not, but you won't worry your tegu bury her food plate with substate

I fed a cat fish on Pompa last night

Thanks, she's actually about a year old now so she's not that young. She is very shy and usually won't eat in front of me so that's why I've been feeding her in her enclosure. She did, however, eat some crickets in front of me but only a few the other day... She just can't make up her mind what she wants to do. lol

So, I tried feeding her today.

I gave her a large plate of chicken liver, ground turkey, dusted superworms, banana chunks and little cherry tomatoes. I just wanted a variety so she could choose at least SOMETHING.

What she didn't do was eat. At least I don't think.

What she did do was throw her food EVERYWHERE. It's like she threw a tantrum with the food when I left her alone. I believe she may have eaten a little bit of turkey but she mostly just flung it everywhere somehow...

I know it might take a while for her to eat outside of her enclosure but if she is hungry enough she will eat. I'm just worried that some of the food gets left behind in her enclosure that is covered with the mulch and when she is hungry she will eat it. I would hate to see her get impacted . Are there any crickets left in her enclosure that can stress her out ? Left over crickets can bite the Tegu and stress her out. This can lead to her not wanting to eat. Oh, I almost forgot. She is very beautiful by the way .
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

She was fed crickets in the bathtub. I've made sure there's no food left in her enclosure.

Today we tried fish. It was a no-go. lol

Is she basking more often now or does it still seem she is going into hibernation? She has always been a picky eater but usually took ground turkey and pinkies pretty good.
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada
    1.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dezie)
    0.1.0 Argenitne Red Tegu (rehome)
    1.0.1 Fat-Tailed Gecko (Holly and Chugington)
    1.0.0 Brittish Bulldog (Bently)
    1.0.0 Cockerpug (Ryder) Perfect name as he "rides" everything!
    0.2.0 Children (Cadence 5, Jordan 2)
    Large Saltwater tank that contains Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Foxface, 4 Gobeys, firefish, a couple shrimps, and a grumpy Brittle Star that eats fish while they sleep!

She is basking more often so I don't think she's going into hibernation.

oh thats good, give you all summer to work on her! I am sure she will come around. She is such a gentle girl once calm so she will be worth the effort!
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada
    1.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dezie)
    0.1.0 Argenitne Red Tegu (rehome)
    1.0.1 Fat-Tailed Gecko (Holly and Chugington)
    1.0.0 Brittish Bulldog (Bently)
    1.0.0 Cockerpug (Ryder) Perfect name as he "rides" everything!
    0.2.0 Children (Cadence 5, Jordan 2)
    Large Saltwater tank that contains Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Foxface, 4 Gobeys, firefish, a couple shrimps, and a grumpy Brittle Star that eats fish while they sleep!

That is good to hear . When you feed her in the bathtub did you try yet to close the shower curtain so she can't see you ? Maybe this will help her to relax a bit more. But please make sure there are no holes she can get into in case she jumps out of the tub.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl