Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Throat Vomiting

Default Black Throat Vomiting

I just picked up a black throat from the reptile expo on Saturday and he vomited yesterday :( When i got him he was very sweet! they told me he hadn't eaten since Thursday. so when i got home, I put him in his cage to let him get used to it, i figured i would put food in with him in case he decided he was hungry. Next time i came in the room the mice were gone.. I really didn't expect him to eat seeing how he was new and just got moved around... So the next day when i left for work i put more mice in with him and when i got home one of the two mice were gone... But yesterday when i got home he had vomited all three mice :( Could it have been because the stress of the move??? I just figured i shouldn't have offered him food so early. Any opinions on this?? I want to leave him alone for now to let him get used to everything but if i need to be worried ill make a vet apt asap... Any help is appreciated
    Thanks all
    -Becky
    0.2.0 Ball Pythons, Kacey, Kahlua,
    0.1.0 Black and White Tegu, Shredder
    1.0.0 Extreme Giant Tegu, Dino

sounds just like new home stress to me..though i could be wrong..if you extremely worried, best thing to do would be to take him to a reptile savy vet and get their opinion..better to be safe than sorry

Its probably the stress of moving. My black throat did the same when I first got her but with turkey not mice. Btw love his name lol I've got 3 savannahs named little foot, Petrie and chomper.
    1 Black and White Argentine Tegu
    1 Black Throat Monitor
    1 Ball python
    1 Sulcata Tortoise
    1 Leopard Tortoise (pardalis pardalis)
    3 Indian Star Tortoise
    1 Mali Uromastyx
    1 Spotted Salamander
    1 veiled chameleon
    1 Enigma Leopard Gecko
    1 Sunfire Bearded Dragon
    1 Australian whites tree frog
    1 red ear x yellow belly
    1 Yellow belly
    1 Red ear slider
    1 southern banded watersnake
    3 Savannah monitors
    2 Annoying Younger Brothers

Hi Becky. Congrats on your new black throat monitor. It sounds like what our Frilled Dragon did when we rescued him off craigslist. He looked thin so I offered him all the food he could eat. Later on I smelled something and I looked into his enclosure. He got sick all over the side of the wall in his enclosure ( it was alot ). He was fine after that. I think that from the stress his stomach was upset and you maybe gave him to much at once. I would wait a day or two and then give a little bit of food. If he holds it down give him some more the next day. Can you post some pictures of him ? That would be great. We just got one about 2 months ago. If you have any videos on youtube of him let me know. Please keep us posted. Oh, and please make sure he drinks some water so he doesn't get dehydrated since he got sick.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Sounds like stress or he just ate to much. an you stay there while you feed him instead of laing the food? Also you ould try tong feeding as a way to bond.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.01 CBB northern blue tongue skink lucy
    0.0.1 blue spot timor monitor evie
    0.1 b&w & red hybrid loo loo
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

Thank you For the replies,
    Daboogymann, I love your names!!! I tried to name My Tegu Ducky but my boyfriend wouldn't go for it..

TXrepgirl, thank you i'm glad other people have had similar issues.. I gave him one small mouse last night and he ate it right away and was looking at me like "common mom i want more" lol We will see if he keeps this one down. I will try to get some pictures and videos up next week some time after he gets settled in

LisaFoster2510, The first time i did stay right there while he ate, but the second feeding i must admit i put it in his cage on a large plate. Its not normally something i do on a regular basis tho. Tong feeding huh?? I have seen videos of people doing that but i think i have mixed emotions on it. It would be really neat to have him be that gentle but im not sure if i would want him in that habit when he is older...ill have to do more research on it

Every day I love him more and more! Im noticing how aware he is of everything!!! He is constantly watching everyone walk by his cage. Yesterday i was upstairs and looked down at him in his cage and i must have caught his attention, he stopped walking around and just looked at me... If i go sit by his cage and watch him, most of the time he will just sit there but sometimes he will slowly back into his hide box never taking his eyes off me... he is so silly and i cant wait to start interacting with him outside his cage.

Try tong feeding it is great . I hve a 3 foot savannah and a 3 foot tegu I do it with. My savannah knows the difference when I have food and when I do not. She will come running up to her doors and I present the back of my hand with my fingers curled up. It is great way to bond with them. I dangle the mouse from a long set of tongs they just rip it right off and eat it. I only do this with my tegu when he is out free roaming because I know they can get cage aggressive. With my monitor I open the door and sit on the floor she will run right up on my lap and grabbed it. I guess with a black throat they would get to big to jump on your lap but you could stand an do it with him also. I guess you would want to test hitemperment when I fed Lilo my savannah that is when I can stroke and pet her.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.01 CBB northern blue tongue skink lucy
    0.0.1 blue spot timor monitor evie
    0.1 b&w & red hybrid loo loo
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

Your welcome . How is he doing ? Did he keep this one down so far ? Thank you for going to take some pics and making some videos. There is no rush. When ever you can .
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Ttxrepgirl, Yes he seems to be doing better He kept the one mouse down so far and if he doesn't get sick today ill prolly give him 2 more small mice when i get home today. thank you for following up
    lisafoster2510, that's amazing! i would love to see a video of it if you have one.

Update : He has been eating great everyday! This weekend ill be taking him out and spending some time with him ill hopefully get some pictures up .. Hope you all have a great forth of july weekend!