Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: newbie

What all should I give them food wise? Ive given them fruit in the past, lean ground beef and turkey and mice. My female sniffed up a slug and a rolly polly once in our yard -.-

Lean ground turkey, chicken livers/hearts/gizzards, beer liver, tilapia, salmon, blackberries, raspberries, mango, human baby food mixed in with stuff, F/T rodents, dubia roaches, hornworms, superworms (although as an adult, these become more like a snack), scrambled or soft boiled eggs as a treat (once every week at the very most), and some like leafy greens like mustard green, collard greens, kale, dandelion greens... stay away from anything that has "lettuce" in the name or spinach... really, there are a LOT of things out there.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

wow loln thats alot of stuff lol my vet told me theyd be fine with just mice so i stopped giving them the fruit and ground meats

I wouldn't just give them the rodents. If you feed to many of them to often your Tegu can get impacted from all that hair. That was a very good list of foods you can give to your Tegu. I would stay away from spinich and fruits that have allot of acid ( Pineapple, Oranges ).
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

No offense, but in this instance, your Vet doesn't know what they are talking about. It sounds as if he's just grouping tegus in with the monitors who *do* eat primarily rodents. I'd highly suggest going back to what you were doing, and offer a more varied diet. Oh, and be sure to add the appropriate amount of calcium powder to each and every meal that *isn't* a rodent. A good multi-vitamin once or twice a week is great too.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

Im starting to think that i should take them to a different vet lol even though hes been an exotics vet for 10+ years :( i had my hopes up that he'd be the one to use since he took care of her leg when she broke it, argh lol anyone know a vet who knows their **** in san diego county CA?

There are great exotic vets, but since tegus are newer to the pet scene, older vets may not have as much experience.

Does this list help?
    http://www.anapsid.org/vets/califs.html
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

What is a good bedding to use for tegus? Ive been using a dark wood rainforest blend and im curious as to if there is something better

Most people use cypress mulch, although depending on which side of the country you live on, it can be hard to find. There are others who use a peat and top soil mix, or certain landscaping mulches (but you have to make sure that it doesn't include any cedar or pine products, as they can be harmful to your reptile)... basically, you need to use something that holds moisture well without rotting or going bad.

are actual aquarium type tanks better or are vision cages?