Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP my beardie =(

I'm very very sorry for your loss. I do agree with the others that the expired UVB was probably not the only cause.

He looks so cute in those pictures you posted.
    1.0.0. English Budgie (Peanut)
    1.0.0. Red-Eared Slider (Rocky)
    1.0.0. Bearded Dragon (Gomek)
    www.youtube.com/SnakeEyes223

I am very sorry for your loss. Riley was very good looking. Don't beat your self up. I know that's very hard to do. We all make mistakes at one point. We just lost our female blue/red hybrid Tegu not to long ago. There isn't one day that goes by where I think " what could I have done differently " so this wouldn't of happened ( she ate a piece of mulch and poked her self on the gum. It got infected and she died. I held her not even two days before she passed and she was fine. I never feed our Tegus in the enclosure and it still happened ) . All we can do is live and learn. I recommend the sun, too. Hang in there.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Thank you all for the kind words. I've posted a lot about Riley's passing in the last week - He was a good reptile, and smart to boot - He knew his name and came when called.
    When we fell on our money issues, his diet also suffered a bit. We fed him mostly squash, occasionally spinach greens, and meal worms (and sometimes Super worms, which we were told about what happens when they aren't eaten properly. I don't know the signs of when a Super worm's head isn't "dead" and continues to feed off of the reptile's insides, so I don't know if that is to blame).
    All I know is that the week before he died, he stopped eating, his color got really pale, and his beard stayed black.
    Whichever way finished him off, its doesn't matter - he was my pet and he relied on us to take care of him. That's what hurts the most, knowing that you failed them.
    My boyfriend and I are getting better, we are even talking about future-pets when we are ready to take on another mouth to feed lol (So far we have thought of owning leopard geckos, a chinchilla, a hedgehog, or a spurred-foot tortoise) But right now we are just focusing on Desmond and the Uromastyx (named Grahm, but we just call him The Uro - who is starting to show some blue in his cheeks!) and making sure they are healthy and properly cared for.

When I had been doing beardie research, I had come across that same Old Wives Tale about mealworms being able to feed on a beardie from the inside out. If I remember correctly, it was proved false. I'm assuming the same is true for superworms. I know that if a beardie poops out, ummm... chunks... of superworms or any other food, then it's usually because the basking temp is off. I've also been told not to feed spinach greens; there's something in them (I'm blanking on the name right now) that binds to calcium so it can't be absorbed properly. Mustard greens, collard greens, and kale are great daily choices. You know, if you guys ever decide to get another beardie again. *hugs*
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

I had ( still have ) allot of lizards for many years now and I never had any problems with feeding them any kind of feeder worms. I could be wrong but it could of been you all feeding him to much of the spinach. I found this info for you so you know why I think it wasn't a good idea to feed Riley the spinich. I don't think it was because of the UVA/UVB buld or not getting enough food for a little while.

Any uneaten prey items should be removed from your Dragons enclosure.

There is a wide variety of greens that are available that are good for your Beardie. Dandelion greens, Collard greens, Mustard greens, Bok choy, Kale, Turnip greens, Escarole and Chicory are among the easiest to find and the best to use. If the greens you are wondering about say Lettuce anywhere in the name avoid them. Most types of lettuce are composed mostly of water and hold little or no nutritional value. With the wide variety of other greens out there it is better and easier to just avoid any type of lettuce. Spinach should also be avoided as calcium binds to it and will not be digested by your animal.

A wide variety of vegetables can also be offered to your Beardie. Butternut squash, Yellow squash, Spaghetti squash, Acorn squash, all other varieties of squash, Green beans, Parsnips, Sweet potato, Snow peas and Carrots. Carrots should only be used as a treat though due to the high amounts of vitamin A. Any food with high amounts of vitamin A should be avoided as reptiles do not absorb a lot of vitamin A. Feeding your Beardie a lot foods such as Carrots will end up in a condition called Vitamin A toxicity which is deadly. Squashes will either have to be cooked or micro-waved before feeding them to your Beardie. This will soften them up and they can then be minced and eaten easier.

Fruits can also be used, just avoid any citrus fruit such as oranges and grape fruit.

http://www.draconian.com/dragons/bea...ragon-care.php
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl