Thread: twitching

Default twitching

has anyone found a way to stop toe and arm twitching? ive been giving him calcium and it seems to have stopped it in the past so i dunno about this time around
    Last edited by mspencer; 10-10-2011 at 04:35 AM.
    You know you are a reptile owner when you can use tissue and duct tape to bandage a bite while you are working with your scaly critters

I'm walking out the door.....but, yes, it is a calcium issue. Calcium must be placed on ALL food without bones. Calcium must be used to get the calcium to phosphorus ratio up to 2: 1. It is more than a sprinkle twice weekly. Then there needs to be a good UVB lamp properly placed and temps that allow for proper metabolism.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

m'kay, thats what i was thinking but i just wanted a matter-o-fact answer :lol: thank you so much
    You know you are a reptile owner when you can use tissue and duct tape to bandage a bite while you are working with your scaly critters

Just to make sure you don't go to the extreme though (and don't overdo other supplements) check your supplement for percentage or ratio labels. If you are using UVB lights, then watch out for too much Vitamin D3 in your supplements. A lot of supplements will pass if there are too many, but some of them will be absorbed and can cause issues. Simple solution, calcium powder (not repti supplement sold at most pet shops) and check the calcium/phos ratio in the foods you feed. Add the supplement to get the ratio to 2:1. Also, some foods that are high in calcium but low in phosphorous (for example if you have a fruit day for your tegu) can have phosphorus added, but this can be dangerous and expensive so only do it if you are really comfortable with it.

As far as your calcium goes I also have another recommendation that has worked well for my tegu (I hope, he is having a spasm problem that I have a thread about if anyone has any input, not trying to hijack your thread) but they have a liquid calcium supplement. I place some in my tegus water dish and he gets calcium as he drinks. Calcium/Vitamin D3/Phosphorus are the 3 nutrients that really need to be watched for all reps so just make sure your levels are good.

Also if you don't feed them rodents that isn't the end of the world, some people just can't do it. But if that is the case you really need to jack up his calcium levels (try fish just check forums for good fish for lizards, apparently some lizards can take trout but I haven't messed with it).