Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tegus in Apartment

Default Tegus in Apartment

Does anyone else keep their tegus in apartments? And if so, how well do they do?

I'm moving at the end of the week for an apartment away from my ex and taking the tegus with me. I'm planning on leaving them at my local pet store for sitting while I do the serious moving done. Jabba's already making it clear he doesn't appreciate the diminished free roam time but with all the boxes lying about I just can't let him free for too long. That's the other part of the reason I'm leaving them at the pet shop so when they get to the new apt they'll only associate it with the happy of free roaming when I'm done unpacking.

Any thoughts or suggestions to make this easier on all of us (lizards and peoples) would be greatly appreciated! I really don't want to have to part with them because of a break up.

Tesgura
    Money is NOT the root of all evil, LOVE OF MONEY is. Far too many people get that mixed up.

1.1.0 Blue Tegu - Jabba, Jasmine

I have my tegus in an apartment, and while it is large, I don't see how their lives are any different than tegus that live in houses. The one that's big enough to free roam does so with no issues, but she is mostly potty trained. Never had an accident yet. She goes outside on a leash too.

If the apartment has carpeting, you'll need to keep the long, hooked part of the fingernails cut to avoid snag injuries. Even at that, your tegu might suddenly decide to go digging and snag a finger. I know this can happen in a house, also, but I'm assuming the apartment will provide fewer alternatives.

I would be totally up front with your landlord before moving in. I'd offer to introduce him/her to the lizard so you can show off how cuddly and gentle the tegu is. Some people have an irrational aversion or phobia regarding any reptile, and you would not want to discover that after you move in, get settled, then have something like a plumbing emergency require that the landlord enter without you expecting and he finds a dinosaur on his property.

HernandosMom took the words out of my mouth. I'm very sorry things didn't work out with your ex. Good luck with everything . Oh, I also would get a carpet shampooer if you don't have one yet. In case they will poop on the floor. If you do please make sure the spot that you cleaned is all the way dry before you let the Tegus free roam around. You don't want them to lick on the chemicas. Your landloard might ask for a pet deposit since there is a chance for them to poop on the carpet.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

A friend of mine who also keeps tegus lived in this complex, it's actually one of the things that turned me on to it. Jabba used to be allowed in carpeted areas so I already have carpet cleaner, thank goodness.
    Money is NOT the root of all evil, LOVE OF MONEY is. Far too many people get that mixed up.

Wow, you all are very lucky to find a apartment like this one. That makes things allot easier.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

I count myself very lucky. I was going through a list of apartments that included all utilities (esp electricity) and that one struck me and I was talking about it in front of her and she told me that's where she lived with her tegus. That's when I scheduled the on site visit. I'm just sad my pet store is so much farther away from home now. Before home was right between the pet store and work, now work is closer, but the pet store is like 3x farther away. Blergh.

When I only had one tegu I was in an apartment, it worked out alright. I didn't allow him on the carpet. I didn't want him to get caught in the carpet or for him to poop on the carpet lol. He was fine roaming around the kitchen/dining area and in the bathroom.
    Think about the enclosure though, not all apartment floor plans allow an adult sized enclosure to fit through the doors (twists and turns).
    2.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegus (Rango & Guru)
    1.0.0 Red/Blue Tegu (No Name)
    1.1.0 APBT (Conan & Riley)

Sweetheart. Sometimes we can't have everything we want . At least you got 3 good things out of 4. ( you get to keep the Tegus, electricity is payed for and work is closer ). Maybe it would be easier to get a first floor appartment. That way you don't have to worry about the turns going up the stairs. Just a thought. Sorry if I came out a bit harsh or sarkastic. Didn't mean to .

Our videos :

I understand the desire to board the tegus while the move is underway, but these days housing them at a facility such as a pet store is a high risk due to diseases. Unless the shop has a quarantine room for such purposes, I'd advise against using the shop.