Thread: Tegu cage?

Default Tegu cage?

Heres a link to like 20 pictures on Photobucket of my cage start to finish. please let me know what you think. im getting a Argentine B&W in a week or two and i just finished the cage. lol Please dont be too harsh.

somehow i left out the part were i silicone to keep the moisture out the wood but ya i did and the paint is aslo a sillier and its water resistant my brothers a professional painter he said its more than enough and will work great and plus i did like 4 coats

as for lights the basking light is a 100w zoomed halogen but i have to get a bigger wattage this ones not hot enough its only at like 97f the florescent light is a reptisun 10.0 uvb and for night i have to get a ceramic heat emeter im getting it in a couple days

http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow

I couldn't tell from the photos, so I'll just ask. Do you have vents for air circulation? You probably do want to use a 160 watt bulb unless you raise the basking platform. Also, did you measure in the heat of the day to make sure it was the hottest point? Your night time temps might be OK without a CHE at night.

Looks like a nice enclosure there. You did a good job.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

there are ventilation holes down along the top of each side so that should be good but also im guna have his cage open most of the time too or i can crack the doors open if the vents arnt enough or even make the vents bigger. i dont understand what you mean by did i measure in the heat of the day but my room is air conditioned and rate now the basking spot is reading 101 102 with my temp gun but i am gunna get a higher wattage bulb. as for night i dont exactly know what my temps drop to but i think your right about not needing a CHE.

This is a very nice cage . I know there are some holes for ventilation in there but I recommend putting some different ventilation in there ( link below ). With the ventilation in the link below you can open or close it. If you leave the doors cracked your Tegu can get out and hide somewhere. Sometimes it's hard to find them when they are this little.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ocStoreNum=581
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

You really don't ever want to just "leave the door cracked" for ventilation. Tegus are MASTERS of escape, especially when they're that small. You're going to want to make sure that when he's in his enclosure, he's in there securely. And by leaving the door open most of the time, you're going to lose all of the MUCH NEEDED humidity, which can be very harmful to your little one. If you don't believe it, just ask HernandosMom; she has first-hand experience with that.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

it has alot of ventilation and if it becomes too much i can cover the holes with plexi from the outside with like a little track i can pop the plexi into and it runs all the way down as for my humidity with all lights on it averages 60-70% and when lights are off like night time its like 70-80%

and the whole door cracked thing was just a example i wouldn't really but point is i have a lot of options with ventilation

and for the record for when i do let him out and what not my room is totally tegu proof all my dressers and what not have plexi across any openings so if he wants to roam ill let him and i dont have to worry about him getting into anything and when i let him in other rooms hel be under very close supervision