Thread: A break through with my youngun'

Thumbs up A break through with my youngun'

I have posted that I once had a couple of B&W Arg. about 8 years ago and finally couldn't resist and bought a baby, (definition of "baby"?)
    My Red boy/girl? is now about 20".
    When I first got her about 6 weeks ago, she was very squirmy and hissed a bit but never attempted to bite. Howver the very thought of being held really didn't held, didn't thrill her at all. I stroked her every day as much as she would allow and I picked her up when she would allow it which was seldom. I gave her baths in the bathtub and let her explore the bathroom at will with me just sort of sitting there on the floor and I have done that twice a week.
    Yesterday, I took her out late AM after I found her under her cypress bark substrate. She is always more calm when she has cooled. I have been retrieving her mid mornings so she would warm up in my arms and with my smell. I let her warm up and this time she just layed there without moving or trying to escape from my arms at all. We went into the bathroom where I drew her warm shallow bath. She swam around at will with my hand still in the water. After she had enough of the bath, she went to my hand and crawled up my arm. She wanted down so I sat on the floor, and let her roam and explore. She returned to me almost like "checking in" every few minutes and went up my pants let and over my lap and nudged my hand with her snout.
    All in all, it was a great day and she has shown now that she is coming around. While she is not yet worshiping at the altar of Dana, (me), it is a huge improvement.

On a side note, I must have forgotten how fast they grow. She looks larger every day and my guess is that she is now 2" longer in just 6 weeks.
    She is a picky eater however. Won't touch fruit. She loves super worms, crickets, and goes crazy over scrambled eggs. She will nibble at ground turkey with a little liver mixed in. I add calcium powder every meal and reptile vitamin powder in a small amount once a week.

Dana, (me), is a happy camper.

Wink

As a post script, I am considering Bambi as a name. Why you ask? It is funny, Bambi in the movie turned out to be a buck and Bambi is a name used by scores of female strippers, (not that I have ever seen such a thing, so the name goes both ways.

I have a short update. Bambi, after being very much not in favor of handling has really turned the corner. Over the last couple of days, I have been allowed to stroke her chin, jowls and belly. Actually she seems to enjoy it. Today, she actually came to my hand when I put it in her tank as if she wanted to be stroked. Naturally, I accomodated her and if her closing her eyes while I did it was any indication, she enjoys it and now wants it.
    I love Tegu's.
    She has grown over 4" in the five weeks I have owned her....just amazing.